Job Search Services
The job search process can be frightening but it doesn't have to be. The most important thing to remember is to start early. A typical job search for new graduates can take six months or longer, so don't wait until the last minute. Take advantage of the help that VOCA Center can offer.
Complete your profile and begin to explore Handshake. Handshake is Houghton's online center for vocational development. Browse jobs and internships based on your career interests, find helpful resources, discover what professional engagement events are happening on campus, connect with alumni, and log experiential learning opportunities.
Job Search Sites
- Find links related to your specific employment field here.
- CareerJet is an employment search engine for the United States. It allows you to search a growing selection of jobs listed on company sites and jobsites at one time - no more visiting each site individually.
- Current Jobs For Graduates is a job bulletin service in the following areas: Liberal Arts Graduates; Writing, Editing & Communications; Management & Business; Education; International; Art; and Performing Arts, classified by region.
- Indeed.com provides access to millions of jobs and internships from sources such as Monster, HotJobs, CareerBuilder, the New York Times and Fortune 500 corporate websites. It draws from thousands of other sources as well, including small industry-specific job boards, local newspapers and associations.
- Juju is a site that searches jobs from job boards and corporate career pages to make a job search easier and more effective.
- College Grad Hunter is the largest open access web site dedicated to college students and recent graduates. Has database of 4500 companies with entry level job postings, plus numerous helps on resumes, interviews, job preparation, etc.
- Internships.com bills itself as the world’s largest internship marketplace where employers can post internships and get access to its internship database for free.
- Idealist Jobs that make a Difference.
- Neuvoo.com Neuvoo aggregates all jobs from employers career's website in order for candidates to find all jobs available in their preferred regions. Employers have the opportunity to sponsor their jobs, advertise their employer brand, hire with the neuvoo ATS and with its mobile recruiting platform.
- Christian Jobs
- Recruiter pulls over 1 million jobs directly from top employers and looks at each one for you. Recruiter emails you only the jobs that you care about. You will also receive daily career tips from your peers and from the experts at Recruiter.
On & Off-Campus Career Events
VOCA hosts on-campus career-related workshops and events, as well provides transportation to off-campus job fairs and similar events. Workshops are held throughout the school year on topics such as resume writing, networking, and transitioning out of college. Annual events we host include a Grad School Fair in October and a Career and Internship Fair in Febraury. Log on to Handshake to find upcoming professional engagement events.
How To Be Successful in Your Job Seach
- Preparation - Create an effective resume, learn to write a cover letter, do a mock interview to sharpen your interviewing skills.
- Networking - Get in touch with people in your field of work. Utilize the Alumni Office and LinkedIn for assistance in finding professionals in areas of career interest. Talk with people you know. A very small percentage of open jobs are actually posted publicly. Use the LinkedIn University page to learn how to create a great profile and how to start networking effectively online.
Research - When you have found an employer you are interested in, learn as much about them as you can. This helps you to formulate questions to ask during the interview, as well as present yourself as a prepared candidate.