Applicants desiring to begin graduate studies in the fall semester should have the following materials on file in the Greatbatch School of Music office by March 1 for priority assistantship consideration**, unless otherwise indicated below. Applications received by November 1 are exempt from the $40 application fee. Please read the Statement of Faith and Community Covenant for Graduate Students before signing the graduate application.
**The Greatbatch School of Music has rolling admission. Assistantships may also be awarded later in the season, depending on available funding and if assistantship positions remain.
All materials should be submitted online, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to:
Graduate Music Coordinator
Greatbatch School of Music, Houghton College
One Willard Avenue
Houghton, NY 14744
- Completed Application
- Graded Sample of Undergraduate Upper-Level Academic Writing in Music (preferably a history or analysis paper)
- Repertoire List (see application for guidelines)
- official undergraduate transcript(s)
- official graduate transcript(s) if applicable
- Personal Statement (see application for guidelines)
- Audition Registration Form (You may Register Online.)
- Include Accompanist Request for Audition (if applicable)
- Scores for Accompanist (if applicable)
- Application Fee ($40), unless received by Nov. 1.
Applicants for MM in Composition must also send a portfolio of original compositions including scores and an audio or video recording of the works (due January 17, 2020).
Applicants for MM in Instrumental or Choral Conducting must send a video recording (due January 17, 2020). The video must be either DVD or private/unlisted YouTube URLs. (No VHS, please.) It is requested, but not required, that the DVD have both performance and rehearsal footage.
Applicants who do not have an undergraduate music degree should send a video recording of themselves in performance (due January 17, 2020).
Graduate Assistantship Application Checklist
If you are seeking a graduate assistantship, you must also submit:
- Completed Graduate Award Application (You may Apply for Assistantship Online.)
- 3 letters of reference (may be same letters for admission or may be letters oriented towards work or internship experience useful in a graduate assistantship)
- Résumé of education and all relevant experience
If interested in accompanying as part of assistantship: Repertoire list of vocal and instrumental pieces accompanied (indicate whether performed in concert or lessons/classes).
Audition and Interview
All applicants to the graduate program at the Greatbatch School of Music are required to present an entrance audition. These auditions are designed to give studio faculty opportunity to meet each applicant and to assess strengths and potential for success in graduate music studies. The applicant will also be interviewed by the Graduate Committee. Please see our Auditions page for details.
International Student Applications
Citizens of countries other than the United States and Canada have additional application requirements. These students must complete the Financial Declaration and Financial Affidavit and be approved by the Graduate Committee before being invited to submit an application to the graduate program.
Download the required Financial Declaration & Affidavit Form (PDF).
Students from non-English speaking countries must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A paper-based TOEFL score of 600, computer-based score of 250, or internet-based score of 100 is required for admission to the graduate program. Houghton’s TOEFL code is 2299. Information on the TOEFL is available on the web at www.ets.org/toefl/.