The music education major will prepare you for teaching music birth through grade 12 and meets all teacher certification requirements of the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
The Houghton College Teacher Education Program has deep roots in the liberal arts and the Christian faith, and we are committed to the highest professional standards in teacher education. It is our conviction that education at every level must not only inform the mind but also enrich the spirit and develop the character of all who participate. Our mission is to equip teachers for transformative learning and service; a degree in education prepares teachers steeped in content areas and committed to serving the needs of diverse learners and communities.
Houghton’s music education program remains strongly performance-oriented; all music education majors take full one-hour private lessons in their major performance concentration during each semester of residence, and a degree recital is required. Students pursuing music education can choose either a vocal, instrumental or composition emphasis and must meet the entrance and graduation proficiency requirements cited under the BMus composition major.
Why Major in Music Education?
- Join one of the most active chapters of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) of any higher education institution in the country.
- Study with faculty who excel in their fields, care about their students and teach with integrity.
- Make lifelong friends and travel internationally with one of our acclaimed ensembles—orchestra, band, choir, jazz and chamber.
- Explore the stage through opera and musical theatre.
- Realize your potential as a recording artist and earn Pro Tools certification in our top-notch recording studios.
- Practice and perform in our state-of-the-art facilities and then share your gifts with the community, the church and the world.
- Qualify for up to $50,000 in available scholarships.
- Music Education – Alternate Applied – Concentration in Composition (MEI-C)(BMus)
- Music Education – Alternate Applied – Concentration in Composition (MEV-C)(BMus)
- Music Education – Instrumental Emphasis (BMus)
- Music Education – Vocal Emphasis (BMus)
NAfME Student Chapter 150
The Greatbatch School of Music membership is open to all undergraduate and graduate music education members and includes subscription to three professional music education magazines. The purpose of NAfME is to afford students an opportunity for professional orientation, development and involvement.
The Center for the Arts
The School of Music is housed in the light-filled Center for the Arts, a 44,000-square-foot facility built with the 21st-century music student in mind. From traditional practice rooms constructed with appropriate sound design criteria and soundproofing to the professional-level digital recording studio and Korg keyboard lab, our graduates are uniquely prepared to thrive in a variety of musical settings and capacities. The CFA is also home to a 225-seat recital hall, a large instrumental rehearsal hall, The Ortlip Art Gallery and a music library with four listening rooms and a separate choral library.
In the faculty of the Greatbatch School, Houghton has assembled a distinguished group of Christian composers, conductors, performers, teachers and academicians. They have trained at the world’s foremost universities and conservatories. Among them are several Fulbright Scholars, acclaimed recording artists and fine performers in all areas. Combining a wealth of professional experience with a love of teaching and a commitment to higher education from a Christian perspective, our faculty provide exceptional opportunities for individual mentoring and professional training.
One of the great things about Houghton is that you get to be surrounded by people who think, act, perform, talk, and worship differently than you do. As an educator I believe that it is crucial to have that kind of experience.Jerbrel Bowens ’16 Music theory/music teacher at School of the Arts in Rochester, NY
You may also be interested in