The music major with elective studies is an innovative, flexible curriculum that provides an excellent option for you to combine your passion for music with in-depth, focused work in another discipline.
The major in music with elective studies is a unique option for students who want a Bachelor of Music degree but who also have strong interest in other disciplines. Elective possibilities include
- Religion/theology (music in Christian worship)
- Intercultural studies (world music, music & missions)
- Natural sciences (strong music + medical)
- Business (music business)
- Psychology and or recreation (music therapy graduate studies)
- Communication (media studies)
- Humanities (individual interests)
The range of career possibilities can be as creative as the interests and abilities of the student permit.
Why Major in Music with Elective Studies?
- Combine your passion for music with other interests and talents
- Study with faculty who excel in their fields, care about their students and teach with integrity
- Make lifelong friends, and travel internationally with one of our acclaimed ensembles—orchestra, band, choir, jazz and chamber
- Explore the stage through opera and musical theatre
- Realize your potential as a recording artist, and earn Pro Tools certification in our top-notch recording studios
- Practice and perform in our state-of-the-art facilities, and then share your gifts with the community, the church and the world
- Qualify for up to $50,000 in available scholarships
The Greatbatch School of Music
Founded in 1883 and an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music since 1946, Houghton College continues to build on its reputation for musical excellence, academic strength and Christian worldview. As a conservatory-model school of music within a nationally ranked, liberal arts college, the Greatbatch School of Music offers a unique combination of depth and breadth, equipping musicians for a lifetime of success and fulfillment.
The Center for the Arts
The School of Music is housed in the light-filled Center for the Arts, a 44,000-square-foot facility built with the 21st-century music student in mind. From traditional practice rooms constructed with appropriate sound design criteria and soundproofing to the professional-level digital recording studio and Korg keyboard lab, our graduates are uniquely prepared to thrive in a variety of musical settings and capacities. The CFA is also home to a 225-seat recital hall, a large instrumental rehearsal hall, The Ortlip Art Gallery and a music library with four listening rooms and a separate choral library.
In the faculty of the Greatbatch School, Houghton has assembled a distinguished group of Christian composers, conductors, performers, teachers and academicians. They have trained at the world’s foremost universities and conservatories. Among them are several Fulbright Scholars, acclaimed recording artists and fine performers in all areas. Combining a wealth of professional experience with a love of teaching and a commitment to higher education from a Christian perspective, our faculty provide exceptional opportunities for individual mentoring and professional training.
Houghton’s music program is extremely rigorous and demanding in a way that prepared me for both my graduate degree programs, as well as working in the music industry. Stepping into my first graduate class, I was actually blown away by how much Houghton had brought me up to a level that surpassed the requirements for my courses, and really pushed me as a musician.Robert Martin Executive director/music director of the Irish Video Game Orchestra in Belfast, Northern Ireland; master’s degree student, Bob Cole Conservatory of Music at California State University Long Beach
You may also be interested in