Fall Orientation Weekend
The excitement begins on Friday, August 28, 2020. Starting any time after 9:00 a.m., you can arrive on campus. Our Student Life staff will be on site to direct you to your residence hall where you will be greeted by current students, faculty, and staff to help you move into your room. We ask that non-western NY residents arrive between 9:00 and 10:30 a.m. and Western NY residents arrive between 10:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m..
If you are unable to arrive until after 1:00 p.m., we ask that you register at the Campus Center Welcome Desk.
Family farewells take place Friday late afternoon and students will have a full Orientation schedule for Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday.
We are excited to welcome you to campus and have already started planning to make your arrival and first year at Houghton College a great experience!
It’s Move-In Day! Settle in and get to know the place you’ll be making your home for the next few years.
- Move into your residence hall and meet your roommate
- Take care of some details (ID, parking pass, WiFi access, college mail box, pick up books, etc.)
- Join the campus community in Wesley Chapel for the New Student Dedication Service
- Take some time to say goodbye to family and friends as they head out
- Have dinner with your residence life staff and other students living on your floor
- Head back to Wesley Chapel for the welcome from the Dean of Students
- Get to know folks at the New Student Block Party
Today is all about transitions. Get to know your peers and the nuts and bolts of life at Houghton.
- Meet your Transitions leader & group: Transitions is a course all first-year students take during their first semester
- Learn about various resources around campus for students
- Hear from various faculty & staff throughout the day about the Houghton community
- Build relationships with your peers
- Join new and returning students for Houghton’s annual Hough’Down on the Quad for dinner and activities as the entire community prepares for the beginning of a new academic year
- Grab a blanket from your room and come back to the quad for CAB’s annual Movie on the Quad
You’ve learned a lot, heard a lot, and talked a lot. Take time to rest and get ready for classes to start tomorrow.
- Meet the President: President Mullen looks forward to meeting each and every one of you
- Go on an afternoon excursion: Frisbee on the quad, canoeing at a local lake, board games, disc golf, or make your own fun with your new friends
- Head to Wesley Chapel for Koinonia: a weekly worship experience lead by your peers and sponsored by the local Houghton Wesleyan Church.
The full weekend schedule will be available upon arrival.
All new Houghton students participate in Orientation on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Those of you who attend the Highlander Wilderness Adventure will return in time to be involved in all Orientation events. Our international students will return earlier for Interconnect.
If you are on campus early as part of varsity athletic pre-seasons, we coordinate with your coaches to ensure that you are able to participate in all Orientation events.