With blue recycling bins in every office and classroom, as well as all public locations with a trash can, recycling at Houghton has never been easier. There are a few important things to know about recycling at Houghton:
- Blue bins = recycling; all others = trash: The only exceptions are the green and white hexagonal recycling bins located in some of the main hallways and high traffic areas.
- Everything recyclable can go in the blue bins: Casella (Houghton’s waste management company) uses “zero-sort recycling”, so everything gets collected together and is later separated at Casella’s industrial sorting facility (see here for a cool video of this process). A list of Casella-accepted recycling may be found below.
- Please empty and rinse it: Dirty bottles make a mess, and flat soda is not recyclable.
Recyclable items include:
- All rigid plastics, such as bottles, jugs, tubs, and lids
- Mixed paper (including mail, magazines, envelopes, and office paper)
- All cardboard (except wax-coated)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminum and steel cans, bottles, and foil
The following items are NOT recyclable at Houghton:
- Plastic bags
- Scrap metal
- Electronic waste
- Plastic-lined paper items (e.g. waxed coffee cups)
Sustainable Laundry Tips
Here are a few tips on how to conserve water and energy, while still getting clean clothes. Reducing our water and energy consumption is not only good stewardship, but also saves money and reduces our impact on God’s creation.
- Only wash dirty clothes–if it’s not dirty and doesn’t stink, try wearing it again
- Use cold water settings with the washing machines
- Always wash a full load–this not only saves energy & water, but also leads to cleaner clothes
- Use less detergent–most detergent bottles recommend using more than is necessary
- Clean the lint filter before drying
- Only dry as long as necessary
- Air dry your clothes on a drying rack