- Ph.D. Indiana University (1995)
- M.A Indiana University (1987)
- B.S Grace College (IN) (1983)
- Introduction to Communication Theory
- Presentational Speaking
- Interpersonal Communication
- Organizational Communication
- Oral Performance of Literature
- American Public Address
- Christianity and Communication Studies Network
- National Communication Association
- Frequent speaker for campus and community groups. Conduct workshops on organizational effectiveness, small group communication, leadership, marital communication.
- Frequently serve as MC or moderator for various campus and community events.
- Voiceover work and narration for video and for various public performances.
- Public address announcer for New York Collegiate Baseball League team.
Communication is central to everything we do in life. My greatest joy as a professor is watching my students improve in their ability to communicate effectively in a broad range of situations. Whether it’s engaging new people in conversation, building stronger friendships, establishing healthy family dynamics, presenting professionally in a business context, leading an effective group discussion, or teaching a class, I want my communication students to have the knowledge and confidence they need to achieve their goals for a given situation. In every class I teach, and in numerous outside-of-the-classroom experiences, I try to model good communication myself while striving to create as many opportunities as possible for my students to practice their communication skills in a range of contexts. We learn by doing, and the success of our majors after graduation is a testament to the work that we do in our department.
- The public uses of rhetoric, especially in political discourse, public advocacy, and in the rhetoric of various social movements (abolition, civil rights, women’s suffrage, labor movement).
- Effective communication for leaders (motivation, teamwork, creating a vision).
- Propaganda, and especially war propaganda.
- Communication in interpersonal relationships, and especially the important role of face-to-face communication in a culture saturated with media.
- Presentations and training sessions for Erie Community College, Grace College, Leadership Allegany, the Allegany County Chamber of Commerce.
- Paper presentations at the National Communication Association meetings and the New York State Communication Association.