- Ph.D., Boston University (2013)
- M.A., Westminster Theological Seminary (2015)
- B.S., California Institute of Technology (2006)
- General Biology II: Cell Biology and Genetics (BIOL 152)
- Muscle Biology in Health and Disease (BIOL 344)
- Introduction to Neuroscience (BIOL 355)
- Molecular and Cell Biology (BIOL 370)
- Advanced Vertebrate Physiology (BIOL 372)
- Research in Biology (BIOL 394)
- Senior Capstone in Biology (BIOL 482)
- Honors Seminar: Science and Worldview (INDS 32X)
- Science as a Human Endeavor: Science and Superheroes (STEM 141)
- Career Seminar (STEM 371)
My primary research interests are in the area of smooth muscle physiology. I am specifically exploring how smooth muscle proteins remodel during contraction, how that impacts our understanding of hypertension and muscle recovery, and, given this knowledge and understanding, how can we develop therapies and treatments.
I also have a personal research interest in the philosophy of science and Biblical apologetics. While upholding the sovereignty of God (Colossians 1:16-17) and the inerrancy of Scripture, how can we winsomely, knowledgeably, and lovingly use God’s creation and our finite understanding of the sciences to effectively engage the culture?
- Blakeslee K, Keegan, F, Poythress RH. Electrical Stimulation Improves Scratch Wound Recovery in Cultured Smooth Muscle Cells. Rochester Academy of Sciences. November 10, 2018.
- Ahn JH, Pyo S, and Poythress R. “Investigating Electrical Stimulation as a Therapeutic Modality for Smooth Muscle Recovery After Injury.” Rochester Academy of Sciences. November 11, 2017.
- Poythress, R. “Biological Design: A Language in 4 Dimensions.” Invited speaker, National Westminster Conference on Science and Faith. Glen Mills, PA: April 6, 2019.
- Frenya K, Poythress RH. Developing and Testing and Experimental System for Smooth Muscle Wounding and Recovery. Presentation at Rochester Academy of Sciences. November 10, 2018.
- Poythress R. “Man as Sub-Creator: How Human Invention Imitates God’s Biological Design.” Invited speaker, National Westminster Conference on Science and Faith. Chadds Ford, PA. May 13, 2017.
- Poythress, Ransom. Richard Dawkins. P&R Publishing: Phillipsburg, NJ: 2018.
- Poythress, Ransom. Review of the book Adam and the Genome: Reading Scripture after Genetic Science by Dennis Venema and Scot McKnight. Westminster Theological Journal. Vol 80: 1, Spring 2018, 189-192.
- Poythress R. “Redeeming Science: A Father-Son Tale.” Invited authored chapter in Redeeming the Life of the Mind: Essays in Honor of Vern Poythress. Ed. John Frame, Wayne Grudem, and John Hughes. Crossway Publishers: Wheaton, IL. 2017, pp. 27-34.
- Vetterkind S, Poythress RH, Lin QQ, Morgan KG. “Hierarchical scaffolding of an ERK1/2 activation pathway.” Cell Commun Signal. 2013 Aug 29 ;11(1): 65. [Epub ahead of print].
- Poythress RH, Gallant C, Vetterkind S, Morgan KG. “Vasoconstrictor-induced endocytic recycling regulates focal adhesion protein localization and function in vascular smooth muscle.” AJP Cell Phys. 2013 Jul; 305(2):C215-27. doi: 10.1152/ajpcell.00103.2013. Epub 2013 May 22.
- Min J, Reznichenko M, Poythress RH, Gallant CM, Vetterkind S, Li Y, Morgan KG. “Src modulates vascular smooth muscle contractility via regulation of focal adhesions. J Cell Physiol. 2012 Nov; 227(11):3585-92. doi: 10.1002/jcp.24062.
- Vetterkind S, Lee E, Sundberg E, Poythress RH, Tao TC, Preuss U, Morgan KG. “Par-4: a new activator of myosin phosphatase.” Mol Biol Cell. 2010 Apr 1:21(7):1214-24. Epub 2010 Feb 3.