Commencement is a time to celebrate the hard work, diligence, creativity and dedication of each of our graduating students. It is a time for family, friends, classmates and professors to recognize and applaud their accomplishments and to send them into the future with our blessing.
We can’t wait to celebrate with the Houghton College Class of 2020! See below for everything you need to participate in the upcoming festivities.
- Post your celebration photos and videos on social media using the hashtag #2020HoughtonGrad. Need some ideas?
- Share or post pictures of your graduate opening their celebration box from the President’s Office.
- Post a honk-and-wave sign in your yard honoring your graduate and then send us photos or video clips of the festivities.
- Host a virtual graduation party and send us screenshots of the highlights.
- Attend the virtual Baccalaureate ceremony on Friday, May 8 at 6:30 PM to hear senior student reflections from Hyeok Kim, Hannah Sievers and Zachary Paris as well as the three faculty speakers, Professors Gaerte, Meilaender and Derck. Music for the service will be provided by Sharon Johnson and Judy Congdon along with a virtual performance by the College Choir. Download the Baccalaureate program.
- Attend the virtual Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 9 at 10:00 AM to hear this year’s speaker, Dr. Deborah L. Birx ’76, Ambassador-at-Large and the coronavirus response coordinator for the U.S. Coronavirus Task Force. In addition, music will be performed by graduating senior Daniel Bussey, and the senior gift will be presented by senior class vice president, Seth Pearson. Download the Commencement program.
- Receptions for graduates and parents will be held via Zoom following the ceremony, beginning at noon. Links to join the online video chats will be emailed to graduates and parents in advance.