Accelerate your teaching career and gain a specialty certification in as little as one year from the comfort of home with Houghton Online.
Designed for You
Our M.S.Ed. degree is designed for candidates who already hold an initial teaching certificate in any area (K-12). The entire program is offered online with full and part time options available. Full time students can complete the program in one year.
Upon completion of program requirements, graduates will earn a master’s degree as well as eligibility to apply for NYSED certification as a literacy specialist: birth-grade 6, grades 5-12 or birth-grade 12. The degree prepares you to be a literacy specialist, classroom teacher (PreK- grade 6), content area teacher (grade 7-12), literacy coach or college instructor able to meet all students’ diverse literacy needs.
All faculty in the program have doctoral degrees. The same faculty serve as mentors throughout the coursework, embedded practicum, and internships. All students, with the support of the program director and their advisor, will design a fully online program sequence to meet their personal and professional needs.
Students enrolled in the M.S.Ed. program will be transformative literacy educators who:
- Demonstrate the depth and breadth of their teaching repertoire in the field of literacy
- Communicate their capacity for and commitment to collaborative school, family and community partnerships for the purpose of enhancing optimal literacy learning
- Research, develop and critique educational thought and practice by making insightful contributions that will advance the profession
- Our program emphasizes rural and multimodal literacies and engages rural teachers or teachers who want to enter or return to rural contexts.
- For teachers who are not teaching in rural contexts, we offer opportunities to dialogue and collaborate with teachers and other stakeholders in rural contexts in an effort to expand their notions of ruralities and discover value in and strategies for collaborating across contexts.
- Program graduates will be eligible to apply for a second-initial teaching certificate in literacy at the birth-grade 6 level and/or the grades 5-12 level.
Students earning a M.S.Ed. degree are prepared to serve in a variety of occupations:
- Classroom teacher with literacy expertise (PK-12)
- Literacy coach/ consultant/ curriculum coordinator
- Literacy specialist/reading teacher (PK-12)
- Instructor of a college literacy course
3 START DATES PER YEAR
Start your degree in the Fall, Spring or Summer.
Convenient and customizable non-cohort model to allow for individualized planning.
Graduate in only one year by taking classes full time.