Students enrolled in the M.S.Ed. program will be transformative literacy educators who:
- Demonstrate the depth and breadth of their teaching repertoire in the field of literacy
- Communicate their capacity for and commitment to collaborative school, family and community partnerships for the purpose of enhancing optimal literacy learning
- Research, develop and critique educational thought and practice by making insightful contributions that will advance the profession
- Our program emphasizes rural and multimodal literacies and engages rural teachers or teachers who want to enter or return to rural contexts.
- For teachers who are not teaching in rural contexts, we offer opportunities to dialogue and collaborate with teachers and other stakeholders in rural contexts in an effort to expand their notions of ruralities and discover value in and strategies for collaborating across contexts.
- Program graduates will be eligible to apply for a second-initial teaching certificate in literacy at the birth-grade 6 level and/or the grades 5-12 level.
Students earning a M.S.Ed. degree are prepared to serve in a variety of occupations:
- Classroom teacher with literacy expertise (PK-12)
- Literacy coach/ consultant/ curriculum coordinator
- Literacy specialist/reading teacher (PK-12)
- Instructor of a college literacy course
Complete your entire degree in 12 months by taking classes full time or go the part-time route and fit your degree around what works for you.
3 START DATES PER YEAR
Start your degree in the Fall, Spring or Summer.