Luckey Memorial Building
- President at Houghton College, June 2006 to present
- Provost at Westmont College, 2002 to December 2006
- Professor of History, 1984 to 2006 (Full professorship from 1995)
- Ph.D. in Philosophy | University of Wales
Dissertation: David Hume and the Partiality/Impartiality Debate
- Ph.D. in History | University of Minnesota
Dissertation: The Religion of Atheism in Victorian England
- M.A. in History | University of Toronto
- B.A. | Houghton College
Summa Cum Laude
Administration and Teaching Experience
President, June 2006 to Present
Provost, 2002 to December 2006
- The full educational program of the college, including Academic Departments and Personnel, Student Life (in cooperation with the Vice President for Student Life); the Campus Pastor’s Office, Athletics, Admissions, Conferences, Off-Campus Programs, Registrar, Advising, Assessment, and Institutional Research.
- The budgets for the Provost’s area and collaboration with the President’s staff in planning budget and campaign priorities for the college.
- Chaired task forces on Hiring for Mission, Athletics Priorities and Choice of Conference Affiliation, and the Re-accreditation Steering Committee. Chaired the second of our ten-year Long Range Planning Processes in Fall 2006. Each of these task forces included faculty, administrators, and members of the Board of Trustees.
Administrative Experience/Committee Work
- Interim Academic Dean, 2001-2002
- Vice-Provost for Curriculum and Faculty Development, Fall 1999 to Fall 2001
- Chair of the Faculty, 1993-1994
- Special Projects Assistant to Provost in areas of Faith/Learning and Campus Ethos, 1997-1999
- Department Chair for History, 1988-2001
- Academic Senate, 1988-2006 (Chair 1998-2006)
Senate Executive Committee, Fall 1985, Fall 1987, 1990-1991, 1993-1994, 1996-2006
Senate Review Committee, Fall 1988-1990
- Academic Planning Committee, 1986-1989 (Chair 1987-1989)
- Long Range Planning Task Force for the College, 1992-1995 (Chair 1994-1995)
- Faculty Council, Spring 1991, 1992-1995, Ex-officio as Provost
- Off Campus Programs Committee, 1990-1991, 1997-2001
- Personnel Committee, 1987-1988, Ex-officio as Vice Provost and Provost
- Provost Search Committee, Chair 1995-1996
- Committee for Rewriting the College Creedal Statement, 2000-2001
Professor of History, 1984-2006 (Full Professorship from 1995)
- Civilization to 1500
- Civilization: 1500 to Present
- Introduction to History (Methodology)
- England to 1688
- England Since 1688
- Russia: 1700 to Present
- Senior History Seminar
- European Politics and Diplomacy Since 1789
- European Society and Culture Since 1789
- European Intellectual History Since 1789
- Philosophy of History (Team taught with philosopher)
- Interdisciplinary Studies – Topics in Feminism
- War & Violence in Human Experience
- Mayterm in Europe: European Civilization, Spring 1986, Spring 1988, Spring 1990, Spring 1992, Spring 1994, Spring 1996, Spring 1998, Spring 2000
- Fall Semester in Europe Program, Fall 1986
- Two Presidential Trips with Friends of the College (France 1999, Austria 2003)
- One Alumni Trip (Italy 2005)
University of Minnesota
Teaching Assistant, 1980-1983
- European History Since 1500
- Senior Research & Writing Project (History undergraduates), 1982-1983
Bethel College, St. Paul, MN
Instructor, Spring 1979, 1982-1983
- World Civilization Since 1500
- Anti-Semitism in Western Culture
Director of Residence Life, 1977-1979
Publications and Papers
Articles or Book Chapters
- “Between ‘Romance’ and ‘True History:’ Historical Narrative and Truth Telling in a Postmodern Age,” History and the Christian Historian, Ronald Wells, Eerdmans, 1998.
- “David Hume and a Christian Perspective on History: Insights from an Unlikely Ally,”Fides et Historia, Summer/Fall 2003, pp. 49-60.
- “Faith, Learning, and the Teaching of History,” Migliazzo: Teaching as an Act of Faith, Fordham University Press, 2002, pp. 277-293.
- Entries on George Watts and Thomas Huxley, The 1890s: An Encyclopedia of British Literature, Art and Culture, G.A. Cevasco (ed.), Garland Press, 1993.
- “Keeping the Faith: The Struggle for a Militant Atheist Press, 1839-62,” Victorian Periodicals Review, XXV, No. 4, Winter 1992, pp. 150-158.
- “Education Makes a Difference,” Kappan, May 1990, pp. 18-24.
- Assorted entries on Freethought, Victorian Britain: An Encyclopedia, Sally Mitchel (ed.), Garland Press, 1988.
- “Individualism in the Liberal Arts: Thoughts on Habits of the Heart,” Faculty Dialogue, Spring-Summer 1987, pp. 79-82.
- “Women in History and Hannah More,” Fides et Historia, Fall 1987, pp. 5-21.
- Organized Freethought: The Religion of Unbelief in Victorian England. New York: Garland Publishing, 1987.
- “Hannah More: A Retrospective and Prospective Essay.” Conference on Faith and History, October, 2000.
- “Hannah More on Women and the ‘Reform of Manners.’” Pacific Coast Conference on British Studies, April, 2000.
- “The ‘Worldly Christianity’ of William Wilberforce and Hannah More” – Given at the Inaugural Wilberforce Symposium at Gordon College, November, 1999.
- “The Historian and Postmodernism,” – The Hayward Lectures, given at Acadia University, October 20-23, 1997
- “Between ‘Romance’ and ‘True History:’ Historical Narrative and Truth Telling in a Postmodern Age,” Conference on Faith and History, Calvin College, October, 1996. (Published in History and the Christian Historian, Wells, ed., Eerdmans, 1998)
- “What Is This ‘Mission Possible’?” – A talk on the Liberal Arts given at Freshman Orientation, Westmont College, 1996.
- “Words and Wisdom from David Hume” – Given as part of a Convocation Series on Postmodernism at Gordon College, November, 1995.
- “David Hume’s Pictures of History and His ‘Science of Man.’” Midwestern Conference on British Studies, October, 1992.
- “What does it mean to be a Christian Liberal Arts College?” Given as the main address at the Faculty Retreat of Westmont College, October 19, 1990.
- “Keeping the Faith; The Struggle for a Militant Atheist Press, 1839-1862,” Victorian Periodicals Society, September, 1988.
- “Working Class Atheism and the English Radical Tradition: A Study in Historical Explanation.” Given as the Phi Kappa Phi Lecture, Westmont College, January 19, 1986.
- “Images of the Christian Woman in Victorian England: Reflections from the Life and Work of Hannah More.” Given at the Conference on Faith and History Session of the American Historical Association. Chicago, December 29, 1984.
- Various responses to papers at American Society of Church History, Conference on British Studies, and Conference on Faith and History
Book Reviews and Book Essays
- Review Essay – “The Character and Purpose of History: A Review Essay,” Fides et Historia, Winter-Spring 1991, pp. 78-85
- Additional book reviews have been published by Christian Scholar’s Review, and Fides et Historia. One is forthcoming in the Journal of Modern History.
- American Historical Association
- Conference on Faith and History, (President 2004-2006)
- Hume Society
- Conference on British Studies
- Allegany County United Way Board
- Advisory Group for Books and Culture
- Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities Board
- Fuller Theological Seminary Trustee
- Middle States Evaluation Team Chair, 2010, 2011, 2012
- National Association of Evangelicals
- Annapolis Group
- Christian College Consortium (CCC)
- Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU)
- Council of Independent Colleges
- Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (cIcu)
- Rochester Area Colleges
- Western New York Consortium
Related Professional Involvements
- Article Referee for Comparative Studies in Society and History, Christian Scholar’s Review, and Victorian Studies.
- Editorial Committee for Supplemental Text on Faith – Learning Issues in the Study of History. Sponsored by the Christian College Coalition.
- Participation in Accreditation Review Team for Western Association of Schools and Colleges, October, 2000; October, 2001; October 2005.
- Consultant for History Departments at Calvin College, 1996, and Wheaton College, 1999.
- Textbook reviewer for Bulliet, Crossley, et.al. The Earth and Its Peoples. Houghton Mifflin, 1997.
- Executive Board on Conference on Faith and History, 1987-1990, 2002-present.
- Consultant for Faculty Development at Oklahoma Baptist University, Spring 2002.
- Consultant for Center for Christian Studies at Gordon College, Spring 2002.
- Speaker at Baccalaureate Service, Westmont College, 1987, 1993, 2002.
Academic Honors/Funded Study and Research
- Phi Kappa Phi Membership
- Westmont College, Outstanding Teacher Award, 1987, 1993, 1999.
- Faculty Professional Development Grants, 1991, 1993, 1995.
- Macmillan Travel Grant, University of Minnesota, 1983.
- Graduate School Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 1979-1980.
- Connaught Scholarship, University of Toronto, 1976-1977.
- Speaker at Rotary, Kiwanis, Cate School, Delta Kappa Gamma, Santa Barbara Associates, American Association of University Women
- Membership and teacher in Adult Education program at First Presbyterian Church, Santa Barbara.