Professor of Conducting, Director of Instrumental Music Activities, Wind Ensemble Conductor
Center for the Arts Room 104
Dr. Timothy McGarvey is the Interim Dean and Professor of Conducting, Director of Instrumental Music Activities, Wind Ensemble Conductor at Houghton College. In addition to conducting ensembles and teaching conducting he teaches courses in wind ensemble literature and music education.
McGarvey received his Doctor of Musical Arts degree in wind conducting from the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music. He also has a Master of Music degree in instrumental conducting from Western Michigan University and a bachelor’s degree in music education from Taylor University.
He was director of bands and instrumental music education at Northwestern College in Orange City, IA for many years where he directed a program of highly acclaimed ensembles performing throughout the United States and abroad. He was a recipient of the Northwestern College Teaching Excellence Award – Professor of the Year. Dr. McGarvey also was the lead in preparing outstanding music educators who are serving throughout the world. His career includes public school teaching as a band director in Dearborn Heights, MI and Ashland, WI where his ensembles received significant recognition for excellence. He also taught at Western Michigan University while a student there.
McGarvey is active as a guest conductor and clinician, including performances with the United States Army Band in Washington D.C.; the United States Air Force Heartland of America Band; the National Band of Ukraine; the El Sisteme Orchestra of Merida, Venezuela; the Merida Symphonic Band of Venezuela; the Chihuahua State Philharmonic Orchestra of Chihuahua, Mexico; and the National Band of Cuba in Havana. He was assistant conductor of the Northwest Iowa Symphony Orchestra and was a member of their horn section for over 25 years. He remains active as a horn player with various regional ensembles.
McGarvey’s passion is conducting ensembles where music making is approached as servant listening with a drive for excellence. He is known for being creative in programming exciting and interesting concerts that takes his ensemble members and audiences on vibrant and interesting musical journeys. He is proponent of new music having collaborated with composers for premieres of new works.
- D.M.A in Wind Conducting | University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
- M.M. in Instrumental Conducting | Western Michigan University
- B.S. in Music Education | Taylor University
- Presented at Regional College Band Director’s National Association conferences
- Conducted numerous honor bands at schools throughout the Midwest and Eastern United States
- Artful programming and rehearsal techniques
- Guest Conductor – National Band of Cuba, The United States Air Force Band Brass in Blue, Orquesta Filarmonica del Estado de Chihuahua, The United States Air Force Heartland of America Band, Banda Sinfonica OSJEM-OSEM-BSNC, United States Army Band Pershing’s Own, National Band of Ukraine.
- Full-time Conductor – Houghton Wind Ensemble, Northwestern Symphonic Band, Northwest Iowa Symphony Orchestra
Honors and Awards
- Teaching Excellence – Professor of the Year – Northwestern College
Courses & Ensembles Taught
Conduct the Wind Ensemble
Teach conducting and instrumental music education courses