Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
Dr. Wei Hu came to Houghton as an assistant professor of math and computer science in 1997. He was a faculty member at Hangzhou Dianzi University in China from 1985 to 1991 before coming to the United States in 1991. He loves teaching; his life dream since early childhood was to become a teacher. He has taught 35 different math and computer science courses at Houghton, and also enjoys doing research with his students. His current research interests are bioinformatics, social networks, big data, cloud computing, and data science. Since 2009, he has published over 50 peer-reviewed papers in different areas including HIV, cancer research, influenza, and social networks, as well as Bible studies.
Dr. Hu follows the Chinese proverb: in order to give students a cup of knowledge, a teacher must have a bucket of knowledge. One part of his daily work is to keep his bucket full.
Having lived in two different countries and worked at many different universities, he has benefited greatly from working and studying with people who have different experiences and perspectives on life, study and teaching. This has helped him to understand God’s creation at a deeper level, and to more appreciate his colleagues’ and students’ different ways of teaching and learning.
Dr. Hu feels privileged to serve God at Houghton with so many wonderful colleagues and students. He considers himself fortunate that his passion and his work are one and the same at Houghton.
- M.S., Ph.D., University of Kentucky (1996, 1997)
- M.S., Michigan State University (1994)
- M.S., Hangzhou University (1985)
- B.S., Zhejiang Normal University (1982)
- Hu, W. (2018). “Empirical Analysis of Decision Making of an AI Agent on IBM’s 5Q Quantum Computer.” Natural Science, 10(1): 45-48.
- Hu, W. (2018). “Towards A Real Quantum Neuron.” Natural Science, 10: 99-109.
- Hu, W. (2018). “Empirical Analysis of a Quantum Classifier Implemented on IBM’s 5Q Quantum Computer.” Journal of Quantum Information Science, 8(1): 1-11.
- Hu, W. (2018). “Comparison of Two Quantum Clustering Algorithms.” Natural Science, 10: 87-98.
- Ganger, M., Duryea, E., and Hu, W. (2016). “Double Sarsa and Double Expected Sarsa with Shallow and Deep Learning.” Journal of Data Analysis and Information Processing, 4(4): 159-176.
- Duryea, E., Ganger, M., and Hu, W. (2016). “Exploring Deep Reinforcement Learning with Multi Q-learning.” Intelligent Control and Automation, 7: 4, 129-144.
- Hu, W. (2015). “High Accuracy Gene Signature for Chemosensitivity Prediction in Breast Cancer.” Tsinghua Science and Technology, 20: 5, 530 – 536.
- Dickinson, B., Ganger, M., and Hu, W. (2015). “Dimensionality Reduction of Distributed Vector Word Representations and Emoticon Stemming for Sentiment Analysis.” Journal of Data Analysis and Information Processing, 3: 153-162.
- Dickinson, B. and Hu, W. (2015). “The Effects of Centrality Ordering in Label Propagation for Community Detection.” Social Networking, 4: 103-111.
- Dickinson, B. and Hu, W. (2015). “Sentiment Analysis of Investor Opinions on Twitter.” Social Networking, 4: 62-71.
- Hu, W. (2015). “Computational Study of Interdependence Between Hemagglutinin and Neuraminidase of Pandemic 2009 H1N1.” IEEE Transaction on Nanobioscience, 14(2): 157-66.
- Hu, W. (2015). “The Impact of NA Stalk Deletion on HA Receptor Binding Specificity of Avian H7N9 in China in 2013-14 and Avian H7N7 in Netherlands in 2003.” Computational Molecular Bioscience, 5: 1-6.
- Hu, W. (2015). “Change of Receptor Binding Preference of Novel Avian Origin H7N9 in China from 2013 to 2014.” Natural Science, 7: 65-70
- Hu, W. (2014). “A Computational Bible Study of What to Love and What to Hate.” Advances in Literary Study, 2(4): 116-133.
- Aston, N., Hertzler, J., and Hu, W. (2014). “Overlapping Community Detection in Dynamic Networks.” Journal of Software Engineering and Applications, 7: 872-882.
- Hu, W. (2014). “Functional Interplay between Hemagglutinin and Neuraminidase of Pandemic 2009 H1N1 from the Perspective of Virus Evolution.” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 8492: 38–49. Springer, M. Basu, Y. Pan, and J. Wang (Eds.)
- Aston, N. and Hu, W. (2014). “Community Detection in Dynamic Social Networks.” Communications and Network, 6: 124-136.
- Miller, Z., Dickinson, B., Deitrick, W., Hu, W., and Wang, A.H. (2014). Twitter Spammer Detection Using Data Stream Clustering.” Information Sciences, 260: 64–73.
- Hu, Wei. (2013). “Mutations in Hemagglutinin of a Novel Avian-Origin H7N9 Virus That Are Critical for Receptor Binding Specificity.” Tsinghua Science and Technology, 18(5): 522-529.
- Dickinson, B., Valyou, B., and Hu, W. (2013). “A Genetic Algorithm for Identifying Overlapping Communities in Social Networks Using an Optimized Search Space.” Social Networking, 2(4): 193-201.
- Deitrick, W., and Hu, W. (2013). “Mutually Enhancing Community Detection and Sentiment Analysis on Twitter Networks.” Journal of Data Analysis and Information Processing, 1(3): 19-29.
- Hu, W. (2013). “Communities Inferred from the Books of Samuel in the Old Testament of the Bible.” Advances in Historical Studies, 2(2): 70-80.
- Hu, W. (2013). “Real-Time Twitter Sentiment toward Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays.” Social Networking, 2(2): 77-86.
- Hu, W. (2013). “Receptor binding specificity and sequence comparison of a novel avian-origin H7N9 virus in China.” Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, 6(5): 533-542.
- Hu, W.(2013). “Predicting Pathologic Complete Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer Using Sparse Logistic Regression.” International Journal of Bioinformatics Research and Applications, 9(3): 242-260.
- Hu, W. (2012). “Molecular Features of Highly Pathogenic Avian and Human H5N1 Influenza A Viruses in Asia.” Computational Molecular Bioscience, 2(2): 45-59.
- Hu, W. (2012). “Unsupervised Learning of Two Bible Books: Proverbs and Psalms.” Sociology Mind, 2(3): 325-334.
- Hu, W. (2012). “Real-time Twitter Sentiment toward Midterm Exams.” Sociology Mind, 2(2): 177-184.
- Miller, Z., Dickinson, B., and Hu, W. (2012). “Gender Prediction on Twitter Using Stream Algorithms with N-Gram Character Features.” International Journal of Intelligence Science, 2: 143-148.
- Hu, W. (2011.) “Receptor Binding Specificity and Origin of 2009 H1N1 Pandemic Influenza Virus.” Natural Science, 3(3): 234-248.
- Hu, W., and Hu, J. (2011). “Prediction of siRNA Potency Using Sparse Logistic Regression.” Journal of Computational Biology, 18: 1-8.
- Hu, W. (2010). “Quantifying the Effects of Mutations on Receptor Binding Specificity of Influenza Viruses.” Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, 3. 227-240.
- Hu, W. (2010). “Identifying Predictive Markers of Chemosensitivity of Breast Cancer with Random Forests.” Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, 3. 59-64.
- Hu, W. (2010). “Cryptanalysis of TEA Using Quantum-Inspired Genetic Algorithms.” Journal of Software Engineering and Applications, 1. 50-57.