With Canada being just an hour and a half away many international students ask about visiting.  However, many students will require visas in order to enter Canada.  In order to find out whether you need a visa and how to apply, visit the following website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp. Most students will be able to apply online, though some may be required to visit a location in Buffalo to get their biometrics information recorded with Canadian immigration prior to applying for their visa.

When visiting Canada be sure to bring your passport, I-20, and printed I-94 with you.  You should also ensure that your F-1 Passport Visa does not expire while outside the United States.  Renewing your passport visa in Canada is complicated, expensive, and requires traveling to Ottawa.  You are allowed to travel to Canada and to re-enter the U.S. with an expired passport visa, but only if your stay in Canada does not exceed 30 days, you do not depart Canada for another country, and you do not attempt to apply for a new U.S. visa while in Canada.  If you will be traveling to Canada with an expired passport visa please consult with the Director of Intercultural Student Programs.