Residence Life & Housing provides intentional, Christ-centered living and learning environments that both challenge and support students in achieving academic success, growing in personal maturity and developing competence to lead and labor faithfully in a changing world.
The time you spend in our residential community is one of the great distinctives of a Houghton education. We aim to provide safe, intentional, Christ-centered living and learning environments that support students in their academic lives and provide significant opportunities for meaningful relationships, service programs and events designed to help students grow as whole persons during their college experience.
About Residence Life at Houghton
- Christ-Centered Community: Fostering an environment where Christian faithfulness and integrity are consistently explored and lived out in relationships.
- Whole-Person Learning and Growth: Implementing Residence Life Values, Goals and Outcomes (VGO) in both our programs and daily interactions with the goal of increased student autonomy and interdependence.
- Theory, Research and Assessment: Informing decision-making based on best practices and principles found in the current literature on Student Affairs, Spiritual Formation and the Social Sciences in conjunction with national, institutional and departmental data.
- Responsible Stewardship: Overseeing our facilities, administrative responsibilities and resources with excellence.
- Collaboration and Bridge Building: Collaborating with various departments at Houghton College as well as the surrounding community to provide students with useful programs, services, resources and integrative learning experiences.
Residence Life & Housing at Houghton College strives to achieve excellence in the following areas:
- Fostering student buy-in to the process of learning, growth, and positive change
- Establishing ourselves as a valued partner and asset to departments and organizations on campus.
- Designing and utilizing facilities to support, foster and shape student learning and growth.
- Being recognized as a leader and innovator in Christian Higher Education.