Understanding some of what makes humans most unique: our existence, knowledge, and ability to reason.
Philosophy majors at Houghton are taught how to take on a uniquely Christian perspective in analyzing arguments, sorting through complexities, and comparing worldviews to explore the connections among faith and reason as well as philosophy and other disciplines.
Learn From a Range of Subjects
The Houghton Philosophy major draws from Oxford’s Politics, Philosophy, and Economics (PPE) Model which introduces you to approaches to these three areas, helping you to best understand the world we live in.
Excellent Career Preparation
The study of philosophy enhances basic intellectual skills including critical thinking, conceptual analysis, reading comprehension, and writing, proving to be excellent pre-professional training for whatever career you’re looking to go into.
What will I learn?
Through Houghton’s BA in Philosophy you will:
- Learn fundamental skills in the analysis and communication of ideas, which you can apply to any discipline you are seeking to work in.
- Understand the thoughts of others and how to express and present your own.
- Develop the ability to defend yourself against intellectual fads and fashions.
- Explore and wrestle with foundational issues concerning what it means to be human, the nature of the world we live in, and the God who made it.
- Gain both a broad overview of the history of philosophy and a deep understanding of the thoughts of important thinkers and topics.
- Be a part of a community of Christians in the “courageous middle” where there is generosity toward Christian traditions other than your own—with a faith seeking understanding and acceptance that all truth belongs to God.
Elective Courses and General Education
Vibrant Department Culture
Feel like you truly belong and have fun with classmates and professors during chapel-watch parties, bonfires, reading together, and more.
Learn from scholars committed to the local church who help you explore your faith and its connections to your thinking and a broad array of disciplines.
Prepare for Lifelong Success
The program’s 100% placement rate proves that you gain the foundation necessary for your next step, whether it be graduate school or your work in ministry or a related field.
Earning a BA degree in Philosophy from Houghton will prepare you to begin your career or enter seminary or graduate school for further study to work in:
- Pastoral Ministry
- Public Administration
- Linguistics and translation
- Relief Work
- Business and Finance
- Government Service
As a philosophy major at Houghton college, you have the regular opportunity to attend professional conferences, including the Society of Christian Philosophers, Wesleyan Holiness Clergy Conference, the National Youth Workers Convention, and Wesleyan Headquarters College Days.