Tackle Real-world problems
Increase your knowledge of chemistry, define and answer significant questions about our world, and deepen your faith.
Why Chemistry at Houghton?
One of the benefits of a Christian liberal arts education in chemistry is that students are not simply exposed to learning about science. They are encouraged to deepen their faith as they increase their knowledge of science in general and chemistry in particular.
At Houghton, experienced Christian faculty members in the chemistry department – all active scholars with doctorates – prepare and equip students interested in biochemistry, molecular biology, organic chemistry, physical chemistry and analytical chemistry to define and answer significant questions about our world.
Chemistry majors perform real-world research with Houghton faculty in our Summer Research Institute.
Careers in Chemistry
A degree in chemistry from Houghton College provides opportunities for a variety of fulfilling careers.
What They’re Doing
- Analytical chemist
- Business leader
- College and university professor
- Forensic chemist
- High school science teacher
- Medical doctor
- Medicinal chemist
- Nutritional chemist
- Pharmaceutical chemist
- Polymer chemist
- Process chemist
- Quality-control chemist
- Science-company sales representative
- Youth counselor
Grad Schools Attended
Since the year 2000, about three-quarters of our chemistry majors have chosen to continue their education in graduate school or medical school.
M.D. or Equivalent Health-related Programs
- Columbia – Ben Gurion Program
- College of Podiatric Medicine, Temple University
- Des Moines University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Midwestern University, Chicago
- New York College of Optometry
- Northeastern Ohio Universities’ College of Medicine
- Syracuse University School of Medicine
- Temple University School of Medicine
- University at Buffalo School of Medicine
- Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
- Cornell University
- Northwestern University
- Penn State
- Princeton University
- University of Buffalo
- University of California, Davis
- University of Colorado
- University of Connecticut
- University of Kansas
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- University of Michigan
- University of Mississippi
- University of Rochester
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- State University of New York, Stony Brook
- Vanderbilt University
- Wake Forest University