Mastering the complexities that go into the design, building, and maintenance of electrical control systems, machinery, and equipment.
Explore the ins and outs of the field through hands-on learning in the electrical engineering major at Houghton College: work through and solve real-life problems that you’ll face in your career, in a uniquely Christian perspective.
Prepare for Engineering Work by Getting Experience Solving Real-World Problems
As an engineering major, you complete 6 semesters of Design Lab, where you work with a professor or local company on problems that professional engineers face.
Existing projects include:
- Research in Cyber Security
- Research in electromagnetic wave and circuit elements that store or transmit electromagnetic energy
- Robotics design
Explore More Deeply the Specific Areas that Interest You
Along with your core classes, you will have the opportunity to investigate subjects like embedded systems design, optics, power systems, and control systems.
What will I learn?
Through Houghton’s engineering program, you will:
- Spend your summer getting paid to do real, cutting-edge research in collaboration with Christian faculty members who care about your growth academically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Conduct research, tackle a real-world complex issue, or travel in your first year with acceptance into Houghton’s Science Honors Program.
- Learn the basics of engineering: how to design and analyze circuits, program, and run simulations.
- Explore topics like robotics, cyber security, and electromagnetic wave systems.
- Publish and present your research at national conferences.
Elective Courses and General Education
Gain Hands-On Experience Doing the Kind of Work that Employers will Expect From You.
Impress your future employers with your deep understanding of professional projects, experience with high-tech equipment, and ability to easily tackle new, complicated challenges.
Prepare for Lifelong Success
You will join the 100% of Houghton physics and engineering graduates who are employed in their field or attending graduate school within one year of graduation.
Work Closely with Your Professors
From formal classes to spending time working together at office chalkboards discussing design problems and encouraging one another, you will develop close relationships with your professors.
Continue Your Education of Career as a(n):
- Process Technician
- Product Manager
- IT Consultant
- Systems Analyst
- Research Associate
Or Work In:
- Automatic control
- Signal processing
- Cyber Security
- Energy systems
- Smart power grids