Prepare to restore justice within neighborhoods and cultures, as you evaluate current practices in the justice system.
With an emphasis on human dignity and balancing justice with mercy, you will investigate the historical roots of and responses to criminal behavior in the United States, the development of the modern legal system, and determine possibilities for prevention and restorative justice in the online criminal justice degree at Houghton College.
Students taking a full course load can complete the program in as few as 18 months.
A Redemptive Approach
The Criminal Justice degree at Houghton College is focused on restorative justice—a distinctly Christian approach that encourages reconciliation among individuals and within communities.
What will I learn?
Develop a holistic approach to criminal justice through courses in psychology, political science, sociology, intercultural studies, and business administration.
Through Houghton’s BA in Criminal Justice you will:
- Address the history of, and concerns related to, social justice in the modern legal system
- Go in-depth in subjects such as criminal law, juvenile justice, environmental crime and justice, and more
- Receive professional preparation, including processes for civil service exams
- Learn from dedicated faculty members who recognize the image of God in every person, regardless of what they have done
- Connect with active practitioners working in law enforcement, corrections, probation, prevention, alternative sentencing programs, and prison ministries.
Elective Credits + General Education
Study on Your Time
Instead of 'live,' in-class sessions, you will participate in video content, readings, and online discussions at your convenience. Scheduled real-time video conferencing allows you to interact with faculty and classmates.
Learn from Faculty with Real-world Experience
Faculty includes former police officers, lawyers, licensed clinical psychologists, social psychologists, researchers, nonprofit leaders, and professionals in intelligence.
Get Experience in the Field
Internships give you hands-on learning in a criminal justice setting, giving you the chance to integrate theory with professional practice. Opportunities include local DA offices, federal agencies, law firms, and many others.
Cost and Affordability
The 2020-21 cost per credit hour for the Criminal Justice degree is
Cost per credit hour
Audit fee per class
Tuition and fees are subject to change annually. Costs for books are not included.
Students earning a BA degree in Criminal Justice through Houghton Online are prepared to enter careers in:
- Forensic Science
- International criminal justice
- Law enforcement
- Victim and family advocacy