As a part of the Christ-centered community experience experience, first- and second-year students must live in one of the traditional residence halls. Third- and fourth-year students may apply for on-campus townhouse or apartment living, or for a Community Living Option (CLO). All students who do not have a CLO must live in college-owned housing, with the following exceptions:
- Students commuting from a family member's home. For Houghton College housing purposes, family is defined as parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles and non-student siblings.
- Married students
- Students with children
- Students over the age of 24 as of September 1st of the given academic year.
- Students with assessed financial need who have been offered free room and board with a local family
- Students beyond their eighth semester of college life
- Student teachers during their one semester of student teaching
All expectations of the Community Covenant apply to all Houghton students, regardless of housing status.