Houghton College requires that all students taking at least 12 hours of credit either provide proof of existing Health Insurance coverage or enroll in a College-provided plan. The College makes a reasonably priced, limited benefit Accident and Illness Policy (underwritten by Consolidated Health Plan) available to all students not able to provide proof of existing Health Insurance coverage.
The college program operates under an “opt out” policy (hard waiver), meaning that students will be enrolled in the college negotiated policy automatically (and the charge for such will be applied to their student account) unless they waive the college plan, providing information regarding alternate insurance coverage with at least equivalent benefits. Because a person’s insurance coverage may change periodically, a waiver must be submitted each year before matriculation can occur.
Instructions for 2021-2022 Academic Year
This year, the deadline for waiving/opting out is June 12, 2021. If you do not opt out by that time:
- A premium of $2205.00* for the year will appear on your Billing Statement sent in early July
- You can waive / opt-out between June 12 and August 6 (when bill is due) to have the premium removed
- Otherwise, you will be officially enrolled and billed for coverage for the year
* Premium price subject to change depending on New York State approval
You will need the following information before you begin the waiver ("opt out") process.
- Your Houghton College Student ID number (with the preceding "P")
- Your Houghton Email Address
- Current health insurance card & information
- Health Insurance Company Address
- Health Insurance Company Phone Number
- Health Insurance Group Number (if applicable)
- Subscriber's Name
- Subscriber's Birth date
- Subscriber's relationship to students
- Image or PDF copy of insurance card that can be uploaded (optional)
Within 24 hours of completing the waiver process, you will receive an email confirming that you have waived out. Please keep the confirmation email for your records. If you receive an email stating that your submission is declined, please contact Wellfleet Customer Service at 877-657-5030.
Online Waiver Process
STEP 1: Create Account or Login to Existing Account
- Under Waive or Enroll, click Waive
- All new users MUST first create a new account. Your Houghton College Student ID Number is needed to create an account. (USE THE PRECEDING “P”)
- Returning users simply use your Houghton email and Wellfleet password from last year.
- After the account is created, you will be directed to your account.
STEP 2: Verify Personal and Health Insurance Information
- Once in your account, click the Waive button in the middle of the page.
- You will see the student profile page containing your information. Please confirm all your information is correct. Click Next.
- You will land on the Notice page that you are about to waive out of the health insurance. Click Next.
- Complete the Waiver Insurance Information page.
- Uploadable image of your health insurance card
- Health insurance company address and phone number
- Subscriber’s name, birth date, and relationship to you, as the student
- You can upload a copy of your health insurance card, but it is not required.
- If your insurance doesn’t have a group number – just type in None.
- If you are unable to find your current health insurance company on the drop-down list, you must enter “other” prior to entering the name of your health insurance company.
- Once you have completed this page click next to continue with the opt out process.
STEP 3: Submission and Confirmation
- Review your information and click to sign the Terms and Conditions.
- When your waiver is submitted, you will receive an email within 24 hours letting you know if your wavier is pending for additional information, approved or declined.
- You will receive a confirmation number, print or save the page for your records.
- For any questions regarding your waiver or the waiver process, please contact Wellfleet Customer Service at 877-657-5030 or Kim Cockle, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having any issues with the site, please contact email@example.com You will need to email a copy of the front and back of your insurance card and note the policy holder date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) and their relationship to you.