More than just an adventure trip!
The Highlander Wilderness Adventure program is a 2 credit hour course available only to incoming freshman and transfer students.
The Highlander Wilderness Adventure program is intended to be a catalyst for the Highlander process - a process of growth, challenge, and discipleship which finds its beginning long before the program itself and is expected to continue for a lifetime.
Fall 2021 Program Dates
August 14-24, 2021
*We are proceeding forward in anticipation of this year’s Highlander course in August but realize that there are still many questions and unknowns. Stay tuned for updates!
About Highlander Wilderness Adventure
Kickstart your Houghton experience
- The program runs during the last two weeks of August; just prior to the beginning of the first day of Fall classes.
- This unique program will stretch the person physically, socially and spiritually.
- Emphasis is placed upon problem-solving, group interaction and personal reflection, all while living and trekking in the outdoors.
No experience necessary
- This program is designed for the average student. No previous outdoor experience is necessary, but at the same time, the most experienced outdoor adventurer should find it challenging and rewarding.
- Program activities include: initiatives on the ropes course, backpacking, canoeing, rock-climbing, a solo experience and a 5 mile "marathon".
Program Fee: $700.00
($50 REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT AND APPLICATION IS DUE BY JULY 10, 2021)
Total cost of the program can be billed throughout the year as part of the Tuition Payment System rather than a one-time payment.
*Your Highlander Wilderness Adventure application will not be complete nor can it be reviewed until your $300 enrollment deposit to HC has been paid, as well as the $50 Highlander deposit. At that point, registration is limited to a first come first serve basis
Hear about the Highlander Wilderness Adventure
Laura Alexeichik talks about the Highlander Wilderness Adventure on an episode of "Bursting the Bubble", the podcast of Houghton College.
Highlander Student Information & Forms
Learn a little more about the Highlander Wilderness Adventure program
- Highlander Wilderness Adventure Info Sheet 2021 - information for how to plan and prepare for the course, important form details, early arrival info, equipment list, and a checklist of reminders
- Highlander Wilderness Adventure Program History & Background - learn about the legacy of this life-changing program
- SRWM 109: Highlander Wilderness Adventure Syllabus 2021 - students can receive 2-credits for completion of this course
The following forms need to be completed, signed, and returned before July 31st
- Highlander Wilderness Adventure Risk & Liability Waiver 2021 - Sign & return by July 31st
- Off-Campus Studies Health Form 2021 - Completion of this form and submission to the Health Center is required before July 31st
- College Confidential Medical & Immunization Report - Completion of this form and submission to the Health Center is required before July 31st
- Off-Campus Studies Best Practices Policies - Sign & return by July 31st