Professor of Organ and Harpsichord; College Organist
An active performer, Dr. Congdon has played organ recitals in many parts of the United States, and during 1996 was featured as soloist in Poulenc’s Organ Concerto with the Buffalo Philharmonic orchestra.In addition to her duties at Houghton College, she served for eight years as Organist/Choirmaster at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Olean, NY, and presently serves as organist at Houghton Wesleyan Church.
She has served as Dean and Board Member of the Allegany Chapter AGO and member of the Music Commission for the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York, and currently serves on the board of the Portageville Chapel, a national retreat for organists. She served as presenter, recitalist, and service organist at the January 2006 Calvin Symposium on Worship. In recent years Congdon has presented workshops by invitation for several AGO chapters on topics of organ pedagogy, organ repertoire, and use of the organ in contemporary worship styles. She has served as adjudicator in numerous organ-playing competitions, both local and national.
She is featured on two CD releases recorded on Houghton’s Wesley Chapel Holtkamp organ: With Heart and Hands and Voices: Hymns and Chorales for Organ (2005), and Love So Amazing: Organ Hymns for the Church Year. Two CD recordings on the James Louder organ (Opus VIII, 2008) at Houghton Wesleyan Church also feature Dr. Congdon: Jesus Priceless Treasure is a recording (2009) of her all-Bach recital presented during the inaugural series for the organ, and In Sweet Rejoicing (2013) features a bouquet of organ works for the Christmas season. All CDs are available through the Houghton Campus Store.
- M.A., D.M.A., Eastman School of Music (1990)
- D.W.S., Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies (2013)
- Diploma, Hochschule fűr Musik, Frankfurt/Main, Germany (1979)
- M.Mus., University of Colorado (1977)
- B.Mus., Wheaton College (1975)
- A resource list of organ music for Lent and Easter, published in Reformed Worship, December 2005
- Book review published in Reformed Worship, September 2007
- Faculty Lectures at Houghton College
- The history of the organ’s use in Christian Worship
- Uses of the pipe organ in the contemporary worship team
- Performed the Poulenc Organ Concerto with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, 1996
- Served as workshop presenter, recitalist, and worship service organist at the Calvin Symposium on Worship, January 2006
- Workshop presenter and recitalist at the Northeastern Regional Convention, American Guild of Organists, July 2019.
- Recorded 4 CDs of organ music (APAD Digital Recordings)
- Processional on “How Firm a Foundation” for trumpet and organ (performed several times for Houghton College ceremonial occasions)
- Processional on “Blessing and Honor and Glory and Power” for trumpet and organ (performed for Houghton College Baccalaureate, 2019)
Honors and Awards
- Presser Scholarship at Wheaton College, 1975
- Fulbright Grant for Organ Study in Germany, 1977-78
- Eastman School of Music Graduate Assistant Teaching Excellence Award, 1990
Courses & Ensembles Taught