Plane, Train or Bus Trips
Will you be coming to Houghton by plane, bus or train? Then perhaps our shuttle service and partial airfare reimbursement offer can help make the trip more feasible for you!
Prospective students are eligible for a 25 percent reimbursement of plane ticket costs, while students who have already been admitted at the time of their visit are eligible for 50 percent reimbursement.
At the time of your visit, present the Admission Office a copy of your plane tickets or purchasing receipts. Then allow three weeks for us to process your request and mail out the reimbursement.
Please adhere to the following policies for reimbursement:
- The reimbursement is only for undergraduate prospective students who have advanced into or beyond their junior year of high school.
- If you plan to visit multiple times during the course of your college search, please note that you may request reimbursement only once.
- You should take care to obtain the best possible travel fare, which generally entails purchasing tickets well in advance (at least two weeks for plane tickets), traveling economy class, and considering a Thursday to Sunday visit to avoid Friday and Saturday travel rates.
- Before purchasing your tickets please call the Visit Office to verify that your intended visit dates do not coincide with school breaks and are not limited to a weekend. With few exceptions, we only subsidize visits that allow prospective students to visit classes and meet with professors in addition to having an admission interview and campus tour.
- For international travel (excluding flights from Canada) please contact the Admission Office for further details; reimbursement is not guaranteed without prior approval for international travel.
Also, note these exceptions to the reimbursement offer:
- Visits scheduled after April 30 and before September 1 are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Transitions 101 travel costs are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Flights purchased with frequent flier miles or by other award programs cannot be reimbursed; we can only reimburse for actual ticket costs.
- For flights where a visit to Houghton is among visits to other destinations (e.g., a series of flights to visit multiple colleges), some exclusions may apply to reimbursement. Please consult with the Visit Office in these situations.
Shuttle to Houghton
We provide transportation to Houghton from major airports, bus stations and train stations in Buffalo and Rochester, N.Y. You can request transportation by calling the Visit Office at least 10 days in advance. When you call, please have your travel details ready (e.g., airport, airline, flight #, ETA, ETD).
When planning your flights, please allow time for traveling to and from the airport. Arriving flights should be scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., and departing flights should be scheduled between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
If you are looking for a nearby airport, Rochester International Airport and Buffalo Niagara International Airport are both a one and one-half hour drive from Houghton College. We recommend that you determine rates to both destinations in order to find the most economical route to Houghton.
Housing & Meals
Prospective students are welcome to stay one to three nights in a residence hall; family members, however, will need to arrange their own accommodations. If Houghton is providing your transportation from the airport or station, family members should find housing within walking distance of the campus (check with The Inn at Houghton Creek on our accommodations web page).
Your entire party will be welcome to eat in our dining hall during your stay in Houghton.