Many graduate programs achieve musical excellence; many also combine that excellence with serious academic engagement. But Houghton’s intent is to establish a uniquely Christian synthesis of disciplined art with thoughtfully reasoned Christian perspective, deliberately connected to the wider world of learning.
Building on the foundation of a well-established undergraduate music program, the graduate program in music seeks to foster fine music-making combined with academic rigor, informed and deepened by Christian perspective.
Within a Christian environment, the Greatbatch School of Music seeks:
- To promote a musical environment for developing the highest artistic values and a lifelong commitment to musical excellence.
- To serve students via excellence in their professional work.
- To provide students with the means for rewarding, fulfilling artistic endeavors.
- To develop in all students an awareness of the creative dimension of the whole person.
- To encourage in all students an ongoing commitment to intelligent articulation of the integration of faith and music in their lives, to service as effective musical advocates in the Christian community, and to service as effective Christian witnesses in the musical world.