Ready to Learn More?
Let's Get Started
What will I learn?
Become a transformative literacy educator, fully equipped to foster positive literacy-learning experiences for students with diverse backgrounds and abilities, with a M.S.Ed. in Literacy.
Through Houghton’s M.S.Ed program you will:
- Prepare for NYSED professional certification as a literacy specialist, meeting premier standards for teacher certification in the U.S.
- Develop expertise in determining and communicating the literacy strengths and areas for potential growth for diverse learners.
- Specialize your understanding of the needs of students in a rural setting.
- Acquire the tools and confidence to build a multi-layered literacy support network for students.
- Form collaborative partnerships between schools, families and communities.
Houghton's certification officer will be happy to consult with out-of-state applicants regarding how this program will support your continued certification in your state.
FOR BIRTH-GRADE 6 CERTIFICATION
FOR GRADES 5-12 CERTIFICATION
FOR BIRTH-GRADE 12 CERTIFICATION
Meet a Faculty Member
Cost and Affordability
The 2021 cost per credit hour for the M.S.Ed. program is $575 and includes no additional fees, for a total estimated program cost of:
For professional certification birth-grade 6
For professional certification grade 5-12
For professional certification birth-grade 12
Tuition and fees are subject to change annually. Costs for books are not included.
Students earning a M.S.Ed. degree from Houghton College are prepared to serve in a variety of occupations.
- Classroom teacher with literacy expertise (PK-12)
- Literacy coach
- Literacy consultant
- Curriculum coordinator
- Literacy specialist (PK-12
- Reading teacher (PK-12)
- Instructor of a college literacy course