Earn your degree in psychology
Houghton's Psychology Program
“Change the world—one person at a time.” That is a common goal for students who major in psychology at Houghton. A degree in psychology enables students to understand why we think, feel, and act as we do. Psychology majors gain perspective on their own experiences, develop sympathetic understanding of others, and learn ways to help people in need.
Psychology graduates pursue such professional careers as clinical and counseling psychology, student and personnel development, school psychology, clinical social work, and human services. A knowledge of psychological functioning within individuals and in group settings is a valuable asset in professions such as law, business, education, medicine, therapeutic recreation, and ministry.
Psychology Major Concentrations
The Christian Distinctive
A distinctive feature of the psychology and sociology majors at Houghton is the integration of academic study and the Christian faith. We seek to understand psychological and sociological principles from the perspective of Christian faith, and to see how psychology and sociology can illuminate and strengthen our faith. Such integrative learning occurs in our classes, our research, and our service.
Houghton College Highlights
- A dynamic community of Christians living, learning and experiencing life together
- A top nationally-ranked Christian college, as reported by U.S. News & World Report, Forbes and the Princeton Review
- Academic programs in over 70 areas of study
- Study abroad opportunities around the world; over 50% of Houghton students study off-campus before they graduate
- Interdisciplinary honors programs
- Beautiful scenic campus in Western New York State
To learn more
Request information today to learn more about Houghton's programs in psychology and sociology.