From best value, to the safest campus, to academic reputation, there are rankings lists for everything these days when it comes to colleges and universities.
Putting rankings in perspective
So what do rankings mean for YOU in choosing a college?
Rankings are helpful in assessing how colleges compare on important items like academic reputation, selectivity, career placement rate, financial aid, and more. Some even factor student opinion rankings.
These lists have their place – and Houghton has some pretty great distinctions – but they’re only one piece of the search puzzle, unable to capture the full campus experience, how a community helps you discover your God-given calling, and which college will “fit” you best.
So, how does Houghton fare in college rankings?
Here’s a sampling:
- One of the 20 Best Buy Colleges and Universities – Top 10 Private Institution (Fiske Guide to Colleges, 2019)
- A Best National Liberal Arts College (U.S. News and World Report for 2018)
- A Best College for Your Money (Money Magazine, 2018)
- A ‘Best Bang for your Buck’ Value School (Washington Monthly, 2018)
- Included on North listing
- Included in Liberal Arts listing
- One of the Best Colleges in the Northeast (Princeton Review, 2019)
- Best Value (College Factual/USA Today, 2019):
- Top 1 percent in Middle Atlantic region, 2 percent in the U.S.
- Top 1 percent nationally for value for communication, music, and psychology
- Top 2 percent nationally for biology, fine & studio arts
- 650 Top Colleges (Forbes Magazine for 2018)
- Included on liberal arts list
- One of the top 199 colleges in Northeast
- One of the top 399 private colleges
- Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education 2018 College Rankings
- One of the Top 25 Online Christian Colleges and Universities (Christian Universities Online, 2017)