The Houghton College Student Health Center exists in order to enhance the overall mission of the college by modifying or removing health related barriers to learning and personal development through the provision of high quality health care and the promotion of general wellness in an environment that honors God and reflects Christ’s model of love, compassion, and humility
A Message from the Director
“Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.” 3 John, verse 2
This prayer of John for his friend, Gaius, echoes my prayer for all of you as you study here at Houghton College.
You will be stretched academically, spiritually, emotionally and physically while you are here, and I pray that God will grant you peace of mind and strength of body through it all.
I trust that you will grow in your relationship with the Lord, and that your studies will prepare you as you seek to understand how you can best serve Him with your life. I pray also that while you are growing in these ways, you will enjoy health and strength as you face the many demands of college.
We at the Student Health Center want to help in whatever way we can to support you during your time here at Houghton, and hope that if you have health concerns you will feel free to stop by and speak with us.
It is a privilege to serve you here, and we always appreciate suggestions as to how we can do it better.
David Brubaker, MD
Director of Student Health Service
by appointment or on a first come, first served walk-in basis
- Illness evaluation
- Blood pressure checks
- Immunization administration
- Allergy injections
- Screening eye exams
- Limited lab services (see below)
- TB testing
by appointment only
- Medical consultation/treatment
- Sports physicals
- Physicals for job related requirements
- Prescription renewal
- Travel Consultation
with a physician order
- Blood draws for offsite lab testing
- Hemoglobin test
- Glucose (sugar) test
- Pregnancy tests
- Rapid Strep tests
- Medication delivery from local pharmacy
NOTE: payment for medications (cash, credit card, or check) is due at time of pickup
- Short term loan of certain equipment (e.g. crutches)
- Self care center offers small quantities of over-the-counter medications for common symptom
- Nurse Hot Line available from Consolidated Health Plans 800-557-0309. The Health Center staff will not be notified if students access the hot line as all calls are kept confidential.