Discover the path of instructing and inspiring the next generation of future musicians.
To teach well is to perform well, and at Houghton, you won’t just become an outstanding music teacher, but an outstanding musician specializing in the art of teaching. Prepare to curate your talents as you enjoy full one-hour private studio sessions in your preferred performance medium, equipping you with the tools to manage your own future in music education.
Why Major in Music Education at Houghton?
The best educators recognize that academic excellence lies between a balance of core learning and creative expression, with the inclusion of art and music in Western curriculum since the ancient Greeks. In the spirit of this legacy, Houghton’s Bachelor of Music Education stands to bring out the best in your passion for both music and teaching by fostering your skills in leadership through a strong, production-oriented program.
What will I learn?
Through Houghton’s B.A. in Music Education, you will grasp the concepts behind the art of instruction and musician leadership through:
- Designing personal lesson plans to enhance the student learning experience.
- Researching and analyzing the effectiveness behind instruction and curriculum.
- Enhancing your ability to apply established music education techniques.
- Familiarizing yourself with the responsibilities in educational leadership.
- Developing the technical ability to produce various music styles and rhythm.
- Improving your ability to communicate and express ideas clearly to students, parents, and colleagues.
Students earning a B.A. degree in Music Education from Houghton College are prepared to for careers in many areas of the music industry, including but not limited to: