Theory, Practice and Personal Growth
Preparing you for professional and managerial positions in the sports, recreation and wellness industries.
Use your passion for sport, recreation, and wellness to benefit others.
Build a camp program from the ground up, teach riding and care of horses, become an outdoor adventure guide, or host an equine therapy program for children with disabilities. Theory, practice and personal growth are central to the program, which emphasizes a holistic approach to outdoor recreation and wellness that features community and service to others while cultivating Christ-like character.
Gain a broad base of knowledge in classical horsemanship encompassing theory and philosophy, riding, the teaching of riding and care of the horse while cultivating Christ-like character.
All Sports, Recreation and Wellness faculty bring significance experience and professionalism to the learning environment with the goal of equipping you for lifelong success in the field as you cultivate Christ-like character.
386 acres of farmland, 1,300 acres of campus that include miles of trails, and the state-of-the-art Kerr-Pegula Athletic Complex
Highlander Wilderness Adventure
A 2 credit hour course available only to incoming freshman and transfer students, the Highlander Wilderness Adventure program is intended to be a catalyst for the Highlander process of growth, challenge, and discipleship.
Careers in Sport, Recreation & Wellness
A Houghton degree opens doors to a variety of careers, and our alumni can be found working in a wide range of positions.
Sport, Recreation & Wellness
- Camp administrator
- Park and facility manager
- Professional athlete
- Professional instructor/guide
- Public health specialist
- Personal trainer
- Health and wellness coach
- Strength and conditioning coach
- Adventure program facilitator
- Sports facilities management
- Athletic team chaplain
- Barn manager and horse trainer
- Equestrian instructor, trainer and competition coach
- Equestrian program director at a year-round camp and conference center
- Equine massage therapist at an equine rescue facility
- Head of university dressage department
- Para-Equestrian Olympic and Para-Equestrian World Equestrian Games coach
- Sales/marketing manager for equestrian products company