Earn your degree in equestrian studies
Houghton's Equestrian Studies Program
The equestrian program at Houghton College prepares students to ride, teach, and train using the principles of classical dressage. The recreation major with equestrian concentration is often paired with a major in biology, psychology, business or a pre-veterinary track.
Experienced riders as well as beginners have the opportunity to grow as equine caretakers and riders under the experience of our experienced, talented professors. Equestrian studies students have the opportunity to be involved in 5 disciplines:
- Trail riding
Experienced Christian Faculty
Houghton’s professors bring years of experience and achievement to the equestrian studies program. Professors are certified though Certified Horsemanship Association (CHA) and teach based on the classical principles of dressage. Students can train under Olympic and FEI credentialed clinicians like Walter Zettl and Eddo Hoekstra, and also compete in open and USEF-recognized competitions.
Internships and Leadership Opportunities
Equestrian students who dedicate themselves to the program have opportunities to step into positions of leadership including:
Managing shows, clinics, and other events
Becoming a teaching assistant for riding classes
Teaching riding lessons to community (after receiving CHA certification)
Instructing at Houghton’s summer riding camp
Serving as a club officer with the Equestrian Society
Equestrian studies alumni have gone on to work as horse trainers, riding instructors, barn managers and veterinarians.
Houghton College Highlights
- A dynamic community of Christians living, learning and experiencing life together
- A top nationally-ranked Christian college, as reported by U.S. News & World Report, Forbes and the Princeton Review
- Academic programs in over 70 areas of study
- Study abroad opportunities around the world; over 50% of Houghton students study off-campus before they graduate
- Interdisciplinary honors programs
- Beautiful scenic campus in Western New York State
To learn more
Request information today to learn more about Houghton's programs in equestrian studies.