Safety and Security
Our Mission Statement
The Department of Safety and Security will serve our college community by promoting:
- Our mutual responsibility for campus safety
- Protection of campus property
- Programs to prevent crime
- Enforcement of college policies and the law
- Program of communication with the community
- Coordinated plan to assist with emergencies
Houghton College is one of the safest colleges in the United States. The incidence of crime is very small, thanks in part to the Christian character of the students and staff, and also to our rural setting. However, there is always the need to be on guard and to handle problems when they do occur. That's where we come in.
- We are on duty twenty four hours per day year round.
- We provide constant uniformed presence on campus.
- We regularly work with the New York State Police to assist them and they are our primary resource in pursuing illegal activity.
- We have close relations with Allegany County Emergency Services and Health Dept. and have plans in place to pool our resources as is mutually beneficial.
- Our officers regularly receive various types of sensitivity training.
- We respond to a wide variety of calls including:
- Emergency needs such as fire, threats, etc.
- Building, office, and vehicle lockouts
- Lost/missing students
- Maintenance issues
- And even the occasional critter call (bats, bees, chipmunks, etc.)
Duties of a Security Officer
At Houghton College our Security Officers provide a full range of services to the student population, as well as to the faculty and staff. We are on duty 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Each full time officer receives many different types of training, and is expected to know how to respond in many different types of situations.
Sexual harassment in any situation is reprehensible. However, it is particularly damaging when it exploits the educational dependence and trust between students and administration, faculty or other college employees, and it is especially inappropriate and hurtful in a Christian academic community.
For information on who to contact if you believe you or someone you know is a victim of Sexual Harassment or Assault, please follow the link. Here you will find contact information for our Sexual Harassment officer and links to Houghton College policies on Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault.