Learn how to effectively use today's technology and create tomorrow's
As a computer science major at Houghton College you will solve problems and understand the ins and outs of programming, networking, databases, data structures, algorithms, and more.
Learn from a hands-on approach in Houghton's science computer lab
Every year you have the opportunity to hone technical skills by building and updating desktop machines from raw components.
Be ready when you enter the workforce
Faculty teach about the newest versions of software and industry-related topics, like Quantum Computing, data structures and algorithms, and big data and cloud computing.
What will I learn?
Through Houghton’s computer science program, you will
- Conduct research, tackle a real-world complex issue, or travel in your first year with Houghton’s Science Honors Program.
- Spend your summer getting paid to do real, cutting-edge research in collaboration with Christian faculty members who care about your growth academically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Gain practical experience in Houghton’s Technology Service Office as you support the network infrastructure and address computer hardware and software issues.
- Collaborate with your professors on solving real-world problems through research.
- Publish and present your research at national conferences.
Elective Courses and General Education
Go beyond the foundational aspects
Build on traditional computer science courses like networking and databases to explore less conventional areas in courses such as Machine Learning, Data Mining, Neural Networks, and Computational Biology.
Gain experience through undergraduate research
Conduct research, formulate problems, implement solutions in various computer languages, and write a scientific paper, with the possibility of joining the Houghton computer science students that have already been published in peer-reviewed journals. This extensive, collaborative research between faculty and students takes a leading role in Houghton’s program.
Prepare for lifelong success
You will join the 100% of Houghton computer science graduates who are employed or attending graduate school within one year of graduation.
With this degree, you will be prepared to continue your education in graduate school in or start your career as a:
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Web Developer
- Cybersecurity consultant
- IT Consultant
- Multimedia Programmer
- Database Administrator
Every summer you and a group of other computer science students have the opportunity to conduct research with faculty in Houghton College’s Summer Research Institute. You work closely in conjunction with faculty mentors on research projects for a period of five weeks before you present your findings.
Recent research projects include:
- Anomalous Network Packet Detection Using Data Stream Mining
- Twitter Spammer Detection Using Data Stream Clustering
- Community Detection in Dynamic Social Networks