Back to Directory
Professor of New Testament; Program Coordinator, Biblical Studies
Send Me An Email
- Ph.D., University of Sheffield, England (1994)
- Graduate studies, Fuller Theological Seminary (1986-1988)
- M.Div, Regent College (1986)
- Master of Christian Studies, Regent College (1986)
- Diploma in Christian Studies, Regent College (1983)
- B.A., Seattle Pacific University (1982)
- New Testament (Introduction, Theology, World)
- Greek: New Testament, Septuagint
- Introduction to the Old Testament
- Pauline Epistles
- Biblical Interpretation/Hermeneutics
- Introduction to Biblical Literature
- Institute for Biblical Research
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Wesleyan Theological Society
- Professor of New Tesetament
Houghton College, Houghton NY (2002-present)
- Chair of Biblical Studies Department
Houghton College, Houghton NY (2010-present)
- Seminar Presenter
New York annual convention, the Association of Christian Schools International (Oct. 2002)
- Visiting Lecturer
Northeastern Seminary, Rochester NY (2000-present)
- Associate Professor of New Testament
Houghton College, Houghton NY (1996-2002)
- Assistant Professor of New Testament
Houghton College, Houghton NY (1994-1996)
Northeastern Seminary, Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester NY (Spring 2009)
- Adjunct Professor
United Theological Seminary, West Seneca NY (Fall 1998, Fall 2003)
Houghton College Adult Degree Program (multiple times from 1995 on)
- Lecturer, Librarian, and Coordinator for University-level courses
Belfast Bible College, Belfast, United Kingdom (Sept. 1991-June 1994)
- Copyeditor and Typeset Input
Sheffield Academic Press, Sheffield, United Kingdom (Nov. 1988-June 1991)
- Teaching Fellow
Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena CA (Sept. 1986-Aug. 1988)
- Ancient Macedonia
- Paul’s letters to the Thessalonians
- Pauline literature, theology
- Greek and Roman religions
- Social world/sociological approaches in Paul’s time
- Commentary on 1 & 2 Thessalonians for the revised Beacon Hill Commentary series. Managing editor: Alex Varughese. Pauline Epistles editor: George Lyons. Beacon Hill Press.
- “Teaching Concepts and Themes from 1–2 Thessalonians” in The Bible Tells Me So: Reading the Bible as Scripture, ed. Richard P. Thompson and Thomas J. Oord. Nampa, ID: SacraSage Press, 2011.
- Review of Gary Burge, Lynn Cohick, and Gene Green, The New Testament in Antiquity. Wesleyan Theological Journal 46:2 (2011): 253-5.
- “Repentance.” Pp. 464-5 in the Global Wesleyan Dictionary of Theology, ed. Al Truesdale. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2013.
- “Resurrection.” Pp 465-7 in the Global Wesleyan Dictionary of Theology, ed. Al Truesdale Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2013.
- “Second Coming.” Pp 489-91 in the Global Wesleyan Dictionary of Theology, ed. Al Truesdale. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2013.
- Review of Charles K. Williams and Nancy Bookidis, Corinth, the Centenary. Vol. XX of Corinth: Results of Excavations Conducted by the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. Bulletin of Biblical Research 18.1 (2008): 183-4.
- “Holiness in the New Testament,” pages 43-56 in Be Holy, Vol. 3 of Wesleyan Theological Perspectives. Ed. Joseph Coleson. Wesleyan Publishing House, 2008.
- “Apostleship, Evangelism, Witness” in the Encyclopedia of the Historical Jesus, ed. Craig Evans. London: Routledge, 2008.
- Review of Clinton Wahlen, Jesus and the Impurity of Spirits in the Synoptic Gospels. Bulletin of Biblical Research 17:1 (2007): 172-3.
- “Who Needs the Resurrection?,” chapter 8 in Living Christ: Paul’s Advice for Everyday Life. Ed. Everett Leadingham. Dialog series. Kansas City: Nazarene Publishing House, 2006.
- “Paul: An Introduction to His Life and Works,” in Summer 2006 issue of Adult Bible Studies Teacher (Cokesbury, 2006).
- Review of Alan Bevere, Sharing in the Inheritance: Identity and the Moral Life in Colossians. Bulletin for Biblical Research 16 (2006):163-164.
- “Stoicism, έλενθερία, and Community at Corinth” in: Christianity at Corinth: The Quest for the Pauline Church. Edited by Edward Adams and David Horrell. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox, 2004. (reprint of article in Martin Festschrift, below)
- Review of Bruce Winter, After Paul Left Corinth: The Influence of Secular Ethics and Social Change. Bulletin of Biblical Research 13.1 (2003) 306-308.
- “Who believes in ‘Spirit’? Πυευμα in Pagan Usage and Implications for the Gentile Christian Mission,” Harvard Theological Review 95:4 (2002) 417-36.
- “The Social Matrix of Women's Speech at Corinth: the Context and Meaning of the Command to Silence in 1 Cor 14:33b-36,” Bulletin of Biblical Research 12.2 (2002) 217-42.
- “Bible Commentary: Matthew 1:18-25” and “Matthew 6:1-18” in Teacher Helps, Vo. 9 no. 2, Winter 2000-01 (Wesleyan adult Sunday School curriculum; Indianapolis, IN: The Department of Sunday School and Discipleship Ministries, the Wesleyan Church, n.d.)
- “Spirits” in the Dictionary of the Later New Testament and its Developments, ed. by Ralph P. Martin and P. Davids. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1997.
- “Demons/Exorcism” in the Dictionary of Paul and His Letters, ed. Gerald Hawthorne, Ralph Martin and Daniel Reid. Downers Grove, Il: InterVarsity, 1993.
- “Holy Spirit” in the Dictionary of Paul and His Letters, ed. Gerald Hawthorne, Ralph Martin and Daniel Reid. Downers Grove, Il: InterVarsity, 1993.
- “Philosophy/Philosophies,” in the Dictionary of Paul and His Letters, ed. Gerald Hawthorne, Ralph Martin and Daniel Reid. Downers Grove, Il: InterVarsity, 1993.
- Edited, with Michael Wilkins, Worship, Theology, and Ministry in the Early Church: Essays in Honor of Ralph P. Martin, JSNTSS 87 (Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1992).
- “Stoicism, έλενθερία, and Community at Corinth” in Worship, Theology, and Ministry in the Early Church, pp. 180-193.
- “1 Corinthians 12:2: A Pagan Pompe?” Journal for the Study of the New Testament 44 (1991):57-65.
- Review of Donald Carson, Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14. Pneuma 10 (1988): 80-82.
- “Suffering, Sex, Spirit and Salvation: Holiness in the Thessalonian Epistles.” Presented at the Wesleyan Theological Society Meeting in Seattle, Washington, March 21-23, 2013.
- Response to paper by J. Miller on 1 Corinthians for the Institute for Biblical Research study group on identity formation in Paul’s letters, Nov 16, 2012.
- “The Thessalonian Epistles.” at the Wesley Center Conference 2011 (Northwest Nazarene University). Feb 10-12, 2011.
- “Aristocratic Women at Thessalonica: a Neglected Topic.” Seminar paper for the Eastern Great Lakes Biblical Society meeting April 3-4, 2008.
- “Who Were the Corinthians?” presented to the Archaeology section of the Eastern Great Lakes SBL convention, March 2006.
- “Who believes in ‘Spirit’? Semantic shift in the term pneuma due to Jewish and Christian usage,” presented at the annual convention of the Evangelical Theological Society, November 2000.
- “The Social Matrix of Women's Speech in Christian Worship-Assemblies at Corinth” presented to the Social-Scientific Criticism section of the Society of Biblical Literature annual convention, November 1997.
- “Constructing the Social Matrix of the Corinthian Women's Speech,” published in an online seminar experiment for the Constructs of Ancient History section of the Society of Biblical Literature, November 1997.
- “Stoicism, έλενθερία, and community at Corinth” presented to the 1990 Tyndale New Testament Study Group.
- “The Hellenistic Origins of Corinthian Problems with ‘spirit’,” presented to the British New Testament Conference at The University of Bristol, Sept. 15-17, 1989.