Clarify your vocational calling as a Christian physician while receiving the excellent academic preparation needed for successful application and acceptance to medical school.
“When Jesus saw the man, he had compassion on him and reached out his hand and healed him.” -Matthew 14
Medicine is an exciting and ever-changing field, providing physicians with a stimulating and rewarding career. The practice of medicine is also a wonderful opportunity - it is a privilege, in fact, to join Christ in his ongoing ministry of compassion to this hurting world. With the preparation you will receive as a pre-med student at Houghton College, you may find yourself working in medical missions around the world or as a physician around the corner. Join in the calling of Christian doctors worldwide, and bring hope and healing as you minister to those in need.
Why Studyat Houghton?
- Be mentored, supported and cared for by invested faculty members who care about your academic success as well as your personal growth and maturity spiritually, emotionally, and professionally.
- Shadow local practitioners for real-world experience in the field.
- Serve as a volunteer EMT with the local fire department.
- Volunteer at an inner-city clinic in Buffalo with Jericho Road Ministries.
- Travel to a developing country to study foundations of health development.
- Enroll in our pre-health practicum, where you will live with - and learn from - Houghton alumnus who is a practicing health care worker.
- Conduct, publish and present real research with one (or more) of Houghton College’s faculty members.
Personal Attention from Invested Faculty
With a departmental emphasis on personalized teaching and close relationships among faculty and students, pre-med students have many opportunities to get to know their professors on a personal level. Professors teach the labs as well as lectures instead of relying on teaching assistants to teach the laboratory sessions, and class sizes are deliberately capped to maximize interaction between faculty and students.
Many motivated pre-med students do real research with one (or more) of the faculty at Houghton College. Some of these students publish their findings in peer-reviewed journals or present talks and posters at regional and national conferences. Opportunities for research include the Collaborative Research in Biology course, independent study, senior honors projects and the Summer Research Institute. Students have also have traveled with faculty to work with collaborators (e.g., Cornell University and the Sierra Nevada mountains of California).