Be prepared for the next step toward your calling—whether it be your entrance into seminary, graduate school, or missionary work.
The theology major at Houghton College shapes you into someone qualified and passionate to fulfill God’s calling by diving into a deeper understanding of God’s word and the Christian faith.
Get a Solid Foundation in all Disciplines of Ministry
Houghton’s theology major focuses on a variety of core classes (as opposed to current trends or particular ministry models) that develop you into someone who can read, apply, and interpret well—ready for whatever comes along in your ministry work.
Career and Graduate School Readiness
The program’s 100% placement rate proves that you gain the foundation necessary for your next step, whether it be seminary, graduate studies, or your work in ministry or a related field.
What will I learn?
Through Houghton’s B.A. in Theology you will:
- Discover your God-given calling through weekly readings and discussions, retreats, one-on-one mentoring, and spiritual direction with your participation in the year-long Emmanuel Scholars experience.
- Solidify your ministry skills through the completion of an internship in pastoral ministries, missions, sports ministry, youth ministry, or more.
- Serve in ministry leadership right here on campus with student chaplain positions, Bible studies, and student-led worship in Koinonia and Mercy Seat.
- Learn from and study alongside Biblically well-versed and theologically informed Christian scholars who believe that God’s word is still relevant and important in Christ’s mission.
- Dive deeply into the Word of God through study of various aspects and areas of Biblical text with your immersion and careful analysis.
- Challenge yourself by considering, through reason and grace, a breadth and depth of theological perspectives that you might not have considered before.
- Be a part of a community of Christians in the “courageous middle” where there is generosity toward Christian traditions other than your own—with a faith seeking understanding and acceptance that all truth belongs to God.
Elective Courses and General Education
Feel a Vibrant Sense of Belonging
Learn from active scholars with roles in the local church who are also your brothers and sisters supporting you along your journey.
Prepare for Ordination and Pastoral Ministry
The Pastoral Ministries concentration is structured so that all academic requirements can be fulfilled for ministerial ordination in the Wesleyan Church, while also contributing to the ordination requirements of other denominations.
Study an Area You're Interested in
Students majoring in theology may choose one of the following concentrations:
- Missions & Intercultural Studies
- Music & Worship Ministries
- Pastoral Ministries
- Sports Ministry
- Youth Ministry
You have the regular opportunity to attend professional conferences, including the Society of Christian Philosophers, Wesleyan Holiness Women Clergy Conference, the National Youth Workers Convention, and Wesleyan Headquarters College Days.