Computer Science Degree
A computer science degree at Houghton College includes a balanced mixture of theory and application. Beyond traditional offerings in Programming, Networking, Data Bases, Data Structures & Algorithms, our major has included some interesting and challenging courses such as Machine Learning, Data Mining, Neural Networks, and Computational Biology. Coursework within the major responds to the current trends in computer science. The newest versions of software are used for teaching and special courses are offered to introduce new topics.
Another prominent feature of our computer science program is extensive collaborative research between faculty and students, which is offered in various ways including summer research, Honors projects, and computer science courses. Students are actively involved in the whole research process, from reading papers in a particular area, formulating problems to solve, implementing the solutions in various computer languages, and finally writing a scientific paper to publish. As a result, 14 papers by our students have been published in different peer-reviewed journals. These papers cover a wide array of topics including siRNA prediction, chemosensitivity, HIV, lung cancer, influenza, computer network security, and social networks.
Real world experience
Our students have the opportunity to do interdisciplinary research with faculty on topics like machine learning and bioinformatics. Many students find summer internships with area companies or use their skills to serve other organizations throughout the year.
Our lab provides an environment where students can learn and explore many new technologies. The computers in the lab were all assembled by our computer science students.
Houghton College Highlights
- A dynamic community of Christians living, learning and experiencing life together
- A top nationally-ranked Christian college, as reported by U.S. News & World Report, Forbes and the Princeton Review
- Academic programs in over 70 areas of study
- Interdisciplinary honors programs, including a science honors program
- Learn from experts in the scientific community through our science and math colloquia
- Collaborative research opportunities in our summer research institute
- Study abroad opportunities around the world; over 50% of Houghton students study off-campus before they graduate
- Beautiful scenic campus in Western New York State