The music industry major focuses on the most current business and industry practices, cutting-edge music recording and production techniques, and artistic and musical excellence.
The music industry degree at Houghton College will prepare you for careers in many areas of the commercial music industry, including but not limited to music technology and production; music business, worship arts, music industry, recording and broadcast engineering; artist and label marketing; artist booking and management; staff songwriting, music publishing, tour management, live sound engineering, tour support, concert promotion, film and video game composition; and performance law.
The music industry major focuses on the most current business and industry practices, cutting-edge music recording and production techniques, and artistic and musical excellence while still maintaining a classical foundation in musicianship and theory. Our hands-on approach, coupled with extensive classroom training, internships and professional mentorships, will prepare you to meet the challenges within the music industry, worship arts and entertainment job markets.
Why Major in Music Industry?
- Experience hands-on instruction starting the first day of classes with the same tools the professionals use.
- Pursue the business, marketing and artist management side of the entertainment industry.
- Study with faculty who excel in their fields, care about their students and teach with integrity.
- Make lifelong friends, and travel internationally with one of our acclaimed ensembles—orchestra, band, choir, jazz and chamber.
- Explore the stage through opera and musical theatre.
- Realize your potential as a recording artist, and earn Pro Tools certification in our top-notch recording studios.
- Practice and perform in our state-of-the-art facilities, and then share your gifts with the community, the church and the world.
Experiential, Hands-on Learning
Music industry at Houghton is more than keyboards, knobs and software; it’s an artistic experience where you (literally) run the show sometimes. You can gain hands-on experience working with our director of sound and recording in meeting the many sound needs on campus: lectures, music performances, chapel and other public events.
ProTools is the industry standard in the video game, recording and film industry worldwide. Certification provides a huge benefit to students by giving future employers assurance of their proficiency in ProTools. Houghton College is a certified AVID Training Center. AVID (maker of ProTools) recognizes Houghton as a partner in the film and recording industry, so you graduate with hands-on experience with what the professionals use—including our industry-standard AVID Venue board.
The Center for the Arts
The School of Music is housed in the light-filled Center for the Arts, a 44,000-square-foot facility built with the 21st-century music student in mind. From traditional practice rooms constructed with appropriate sound design criteria and soundproofing to the professional-level digital recording studio and Korg keyboard lab, our graduates are uniquely prepared to thrive in a variety of musical settings and capacities. The CFA is also home to a 225-seat recital hall, a large instrumental rehearsal hall, The Ortlip Art Gallery and a music library with four listening rooms and a separate choral library.
In the faculty of the Greatbatch School, Houghton has assembled a distinguished group of Christian composers, conductors, performers, teachers and academicians. They have trained at the world’s foremost universities and conservatories. Among them are several Fulbright Scholars, acclaimed recording artists and fine performers in all areas. Combining a wealth of professional experience with a love of teaching and a commitment to higher education from a Christian perspective, our faculty provide exceptional opportunities for individual mentoring and professional training.
CMC Nashville Partnership
*Due to Covid-19, this program is currently not available. CMC Nashville hopes to reopen in the near future.
This partnership with CMC Nashville allows Music Industry students in good academic standing to do the following:
- Study at CMC Nashville during their final semester (Spring, Senior year)
- Transfer all Houghton Financial Aid to CMC for that semester (i.e. students don’t pay any more than they would at Houghton)
- Study for a whole semester with leading artists and recording engineers from Nashville
- Complete the semester with a full concert tour featuring CMC lighting & sound technicians, musicians, singers & managers
- Be accepted into the CMC Nashville Track for Music Industry
- Be in good academic standing by the end of the Junior year
As the first-ever Houghton College graduate student to add a music industry focus to my major, I've been blessed to have state of the art technology resources at my fingertips and to learn valuable skills in the industry from a variety of knowledgeable professors who work firsthand in the field.Chantalle Falconer ’18 Master of Arts in music industry with collaborative piano concentration