- Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Greensboro (2016)
- Doctoral Study, University of Texas at Austin (2012)
- M.M., University of North Carolina at Greensboro (2010)
- B.S., Baylor University (1979)
- Certified Teacher: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- Delta Kappa Gamma
- Golden Key
- National Educators Association
Why I Teach at Houghton
- The shema calls me to love God with my intellectual, emotional, and physical capacities, so my teaching philosophy of Christian higher education is based in this Biblical principle. Infusing this holistic approach into high standards of expectation and achievement for faculty and students should reflect Christ’s high calling on every aspect of life for believers. Christian higher education should be distinctive from secular institutions where pursuits may lack a spiritual dimension. As believers, faculty and students in Christian higher education should emulate God’s love in all we do. God created us with the capacity to learn, love and serve Him, so the work ethic in a Christian institution should represent our very best, in response to God giving His very best for us.
- Joy Culbreth Morrison Graduate Fellowship in Music (2015)
- Doris Huffines Bernhardt Graduate Award in Music (2015)
- Delta Kappa Gamma International Scholarship (2012)
- Delta Kappa Gamma Eta State Doctoral Scholarship (2011)
- Massey, S. (2016). “The effects of auditory-motor mapping training on speech output of nonverbal elementary age students with autism spectrum disorder.” Submission in progress.
- Massey, S. (2016). “The connections between beat competency and reading proficiency in kindergarten through second grade students.” Manuscript in progress.
- Massey, S. (2011). “Music and the Brain.” Presented at Guilford County School Music Educators’ Meeting.
- Massey, S. (2008). “Music and the Brain.” Presented at Delta Kappa Gamma State Convention.