Understanding one of God’s most complex creations: human beings.
Why do we think, feel and act the way we do? A bachelor’s degree in psychology from Houghton College will help you gain perspective on your own experiences, develop empathic understanding of others and learn techniques to help people in need.
Academic Study + Christian Faith
Understand psychological principles from a Christian perspective while obtaining the practical skills you need to reach out and help others.
Career/Graduate School Readiness
As a psychology major at Houghton, you will receive the foundation you need for a career in human services or for further graduate study in psychological research, clinical or counseling psychology and more.
What will I learn?
Through Houghton’s BA in Psychology you will:
- Design and conduct psychological research collaboratively with faculty and peers
- Have access to a dedicated psychology lab whether you are on campus or learning remotely
- Collect EEG, EMG and EOG data related to lie-detection, emotional expression, and brain activity during sleep with state-of-the-art psychophysiology equipment
- Obtain hands-on field experience with one of our many internship opportunities
- Acquire conflict management, ethical reasoning, and critical thinking skills
- Be prepared for further study at the graduate level
- Hone your written, communication and presentation skills for diverse audiences
- Gain an understanding of how people think and act and how to help and motivate them
- Deeply integrate rigorous academic study with the Christian faith
Gain hands-on field experience
Put real-world work experience on your resume through Houghton’s many internship opportunities. Placements include a wide variety of career interests including (but not limited to) social work, geropsychology, developmental psychology, applied/pre-therapy/clinical, addiction recovery, school psychology, marriage and family, and many others.
As a psychology major, you will have the opportunity to research with primary sources, design and conduct experiments, write scientific reports, and develop your analytical skills.
You will share the knowledge you gain through writing, public presentation and professional service.
Small class sizes mean you will get one-on-one attention from psychology faculty members whether you are learning remotely or in person.
Majors are encouraged to stop by faculty offices, schedule Zoom sessions, interact with faculty at virtual or in-person get-togethers and events, and work with faculty on collaborative research projects.
Choose from Seven Different Tracks
- General Psychology
- Restorative Justice
- Diversity Science
Students earning a BA degree in Psychology from Houghton College are prepared to begin their career or enter graduate school for further study to become a:
- Clinical Psychologist
- School Psychologist
- Social Worker
- Psychological Researcher
- Third-party Conflict Interventionist (mediation, negotiation or arbitration)