CPT Employment

What is CPT?

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization directly related to an F-1 student’s academic program where the work counts toward course credit in an academic program.  A CPT must either be required of all students in the degree program or must be an “integral part of an established curriculum,” meaning the work must be done for credit within the student’s major or must fulfill a requirement of the student’s major.  This is usually done in the form of a practicum or internship that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.

How to Get Authorized for CPT

  1. Find an internship or practicum that will qualify for CPT.
  2. In consultation with your academic advisor, register for at least 1 credit hour of internship or practicum credit.
  3. Fill out the top section of the CPT Application Form
  4. Have your academic advisor (or internship advisor) fill out the bottom section of the CPT Application Form.
  5. Meet with the Director of Intercultural Student Programs to finalize the CPT authorization.  Be sure to bring the following items with you;
    • Passport & I-94
    • CPT Application Form
    • Letter from employer with your job title, start and end dates of employment, employer address, and description of your work
    • Copy of your class registration showing your internship/practicum credits.

The Director of Intercultural Student Programs has permission to authorize students for CPT.  There is no application fee or wait time involved.

CPT Regulations

  • You must have an offer of employment before your CPT can be authorized.
  • You must choose either full-time (more than 20 hours per week) or part-time (20 or fewer hours per week) CPT employment.
  • Students who accumulate 12 months of full-time CPT employment are not eligible for OPT.
  • If you change employers while on CPT, you must file a new CPT application.
  • Your CPT authorization is set for specific start and end times.