Bachelor of Arts degree available
Convenient and customizable non-cohort model to allow for individualized planning
with six start dates per year.
or less to graduate with full-time & part-time options available
Learn more about Houghton’s online programs today
About the Psychology Degree
“Change the world—one person at a time.” That is a common goal for students who earn a psychology undergrad degree at Houghton. A bachelor's degree in psychology enables students to understand why we think, feel, and act as we do. Psychology majors gain perspective on their own experiences, develop sympathetic understanding of others, and learn ways to help people in need.
The major for a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree requires 36 hours beyond the Introduction to Psychology course. All psychology majors complete 15 hours of core requirements, and then choose either general psychology or a specialty track from:
A psychology degree is:
- For those who want to pursue professional careers in human services.
- For those who want to pursue graduate study leading to careers as mental health counselors, clinical psychologists, school psychologists or clinical social workers.
- For those who want to pursue careers in psychological research.
- For those who are want to enhance their knowledge of personnel or student development.
- A common course of study for students who wish to go on to earn a law degree.
- For those who are interested in pursuing careers in third-party conflict intervention like mediation, negotiation or arbitration.
- For those who want to work with youth, camps, or volunteer organizations.
- Useful for anyone who is seeking a college degree to advance his or her career and works with people on a daily basis, such as sales professionals, managers, HR professionals and business owners, etc.
Skills and abilities you will gain:
- An understanding of how people think and act and how to help and motivate them.
- Analytical skills needed for many different areas of life, including career choices.
- Research and quantitative analysis skills useful for many occupations, including project development and project management skills.
- Conflict management, ethical reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to communicate in writing and presentations for diverse audiences.
- The ability to better assess people for interviews and hiring decisions.
- An ability to better manage people in organizational settings.
To qualify for admission, students must meet the following criteria:
Recent High School Grads
- Online Application
- Personal Statement
- Reference Form
- High School Transcript
- ACT/SAT scores
- Online Application
- College Transcripts (AND high school transcript if applicant does not possess an associate degree)
Applying is easy!
An admission counselor is standing by to answer your questions. View our checklist and more to get started.
Potential Career Options
Psychology graduates pursue such professional careers as clinical and counseling psychology, student and personnel development, school psychology, clinical social work, and human services. A knowledge of psychological functioning within individuals and in group settings is a valuable asset in professions such as law, business, education, medicine, therapeutic recreation, and ministry.
Program requirements & course details
|Core Courses (all concentrations, 18 credits within major)||Concentration Courses|
Houghton College Online Degree
|40 within HR Management major|
|36 general education|
|84 maximum transfers allowed|
Every single course I have taken has impacted my professional experiences. I have learned how to train professionals more efficiently and manage projects more effectively."
Sarah Elleman, Class of 2016
Online program facts.
No Required Class or Login Times
Complete your degree when it's convenient for you
Full Time or Part Time
Flexible options allow you to maintain employment if desired