An English major at Houghton gives you the creative thinking, writing and research skills for a career in business, education, media, pre-law and more.
Our English courses provide you with a solid introduction to a variety of genres of literary eras while developing your writing style and ability.
Take a class on the works of C.S. Lewis, Jane Austen or contemporary world literature. Research the literary greats, and collaborate with your peers and professors on a professional paper or conference presentation. Explore elective courses in foodie fiction, the fantasy genre and the Enlightenment.
English majors serve as (paid!) consultants in the Writing Center, write and edit for the Houghton Star student newspaper and Lanthorn literary magazine, and intern with the Office of Marketing and Communications to produce press releases and other content.
Why Major in English?
- Join a community of creative people, and work alongside fellow students and faculty members as you reflect on language’s role in history, culture and faith.
- Explore the human condition, brokenness and redemption as manifested through the literature and writing arts.
- Engage consciously, creatively and intuitively with authors who share in the human experience, and be challenged to understand others through eyes of empathy and compassion.
- Answer the call for deep thinkers with the ability to problem-solve and think critically yet respond with sensitivity and treat each life story as unique and important.
- Small class sizes (usually 15 or fewer) allow you to interact on a personal level and do a significant amount of conferencing with professors and peers, such as at the National Conference of Undergraduate Research.
[Houghton] was to me a place where the depths of reason are raised to the heights of scientific inquiry; a place where the sanctity of life is a canvas of artistic growth; a place where faith is an orientation of and toward the dynamism of love.Gerad Gentry '10 Bilinski Fellow and Doctoral Research Visitor (VAR) in Philosophy at Yale University
Explore careers and outcomes of Houghton English and writing majorsLearn More
Paid work-study jobs are available in Houghton’s Writing CenterLearn More
Houghton’s English and Writing faculty members are dedicated to your success at Houghton and beyondLearn More
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN