The music performance major is designed to prepare you for a career as a performer and equip you with the musicianship you need to excel in a variety of fields.
Students graduating with a degree in music performance receive initial preparation for careers as solo concert performers, professional ensemble members, recording artists, church musicians, accompanists, private studio teachers, junior college or Bible school faculty, and (after advanced study) college or university professors. Choose from four tracks: instrumental (brass, guitar, percussion, strings or woodwinds), organ, piano, or voice.
Why Major in Music Performance?
- Study with faculty who excel in their fields, care about their students and teach with integrity.
- Make lifelong friends and travel internationally with one of our acclaimed ensembles—orchestra, band, choir, jazz and chamber.
- Explore the stage through opera and musical theatre.
- Realize your potential as a recording artist and earn Pro Tools certification in our top-notch recording studios.
- Practice and perform in our state-of-the-art facilities and then share your gifts with the community, the church and the world.
- Qualify for up to $50,000 in available scholarships.
- Music Performance – Instrumental: Brass, Guitar, Percussion, Strings or Woodwinds (BMus)
- Music Performance – Organ (BMus)
- Music Performance – Piano (BMus)
- Music Performance – Voice (BMus)
The Greatbatch School of Music
Founded in 1883 and an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music since 1946, Houghton College continues to build on its reputation for musical excellence, academic strength and Christian worldview. As a conservatory-model school of music within a nationally ranked, liberal arts college, the Greatbatch School of Music offers a unique combination of depth and breadth, equipping musicians for a lifetime of success and fulfillment.
The Center for the Arts
The School of Music is housed in the light-filled Center for the Arts, a 44,000-square-foot facility built with the 21st-century music student in mind. From traditional practice rooms constructed with appropriate sound design criteria and soundproofing to the professional-level digital recording studio and Korg keyboard lab, our graduates are uniquely prepared to thrive in a variety of musical settings and capacities. The CFA is also home to a 225-seat recital hall, a large instrumental rehearsal hall, The Ortlip Art Gallery and a music library with four listening rooms and a separate choral library.
In the faculty of the Greatbatch School, Houghton has assembled a distinguished group of Christian composers, conductors, performers, teachers and academicians. They have trained at the world’s foremost universities and conservatories. Among them are several Fulbright Scholars, acclaimed recording artists and fine performers in all areas. Combining a wealth of professional experience with a love of teaching and a commitment to higher education from a Christian perspective, our faculty provide exceptional opportunities for individual mentoring and professional training.
My Houghton education for undergrad and graduate work prepared me immensely. My voice wouldn't be where it is without the teachers I had or the training given through academic classes. My music classes taught me to be a well-informed singer – that I was more than just a voice.Suzannah Waddington ’14/ ’16 Private voice/piano teacher at Bach to Rock School, and chorister at Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, PA
You may also be interested in