Equipping teachers for transformative learning and service.
The Houghton College Teacher Education Program is rooted in the conviction that education at every level must not only inform the mind, but also enrich the spirit and develop the character of all who participate. We further believe that, to serve effectively as teachers in the changing world of the 21st century, our graduates must enter the profession solidly prepared in academic content, intellectual abilities, and pedagogical knowledge. Additionally, graduates must demonstrate personal responsibility and professional dispositions that will ensure a positive educational experience for all learners. Since no amount of preparation can anticipate all teaching contexts or subsequent developments in the field, our graduates must also be ready to continue learning as they teach.
The mission of Houghton College’s teacher education program, derived from these convictions, is to equip teachers for transformative learning and service.
The Houghton College Teacher Education Program prepares teachers as competent scholars, reflective teachers, and caring servants who:
- Demonstrate a breadth and depth of subject matter knowledge and facility with the intellectual tools of the liberal arts.
- Articulate and implement a personal philosophy of education based on their knowledge of students’ cognitive, psycho-social, and moral development as well as the cultural and philosophical foundations of education, all of which inform and give coherence to their teaching.
- Integrate the knowledge and intellectual tools of the liberal arts with pedagogical knowledge to create instruction and assessment practices that acknowledge, address and value the varied learning needs of diverse students in nurturing and culturally-responsive learning environments.
- Work in partnership with students, educational professionals, parents, and community members to foster students’ learning and development.
- Develop and critique educational thought and practice in light of Christian faith in a way that communicates the commitment and ability to grow as lifelong learners who contribute thoughtfully to the profession while demonstrating integrity in their personal and professional behavior.