Prepare for a career in the commercial arts
The Applied Design and Visual Communication degree at Houghton College is an art and communication partnership that will give you a foundation for various art, design, media production and communication careers. Courses in graphic design, video and photography complement study in art history and media studies.
Creative Confidence + Faith
As an Applied Design and Visual Communication major, you will gain confidence in your ability to integrate faith, knowledge and creativity through courses that provide a comprehensive experience in a variety of materials and techniques.
Explore the Great Works of Art in Person
Art students at Houghton can take advantage of a robust travel program to view the very best works of art. Travel to the cultural capitals of Europe every other year during Mayterm for your Art History credit or take the annual weekend trip to view a major collection in the northeast or mid-Atlantic area.
What will I learn?
Through Houghton’s BFA in Applied Design and Visual Studies, you will:
- Survey the essential digital tools involved in the production of static and time-based visual media
- Learn letterpress printing techniques with hand-set metal type through limited-edition printing of text and images
- Master the tools and concepts of creating and manipulating images with digital technology
- Explore the movie-making process with digital video
- Examine the technical and practical aspects of lighting for photography and video
- Acquire introductory knowledge of the design, hosting and maintenance of webpages
- Understand the fundamentals of digital photography, including camera operation and file management
Elective Courses and General Education
Art and design students at Houghton have a light-filled, dedicated space to create in the Stevens Art Studio. The Design Media Studio provides students with a large, clean workspace for multiple design media and photography classes; cutting mats and drafting tools; large-format Epson inkjet printers; and Mac PowerBooks with wireless internet and printing connection.
Applied Design Internship
Add to your professional portfolio and apply your classroom knowledge in a real-world setting during your Applied Design internship. Internship positions may be available in a range of applied design industries, small businesses, artist studios, galleries and museums.
Prepare to sell and market your art
Interested in freelancing or owning your own business? Houghton offers an Art Business minor so you can learn the fundamentals of business, marketing and entrepreneurial practices to help launch your career.
Students earning a BFA in Applied Design and Visual Communication from Houghton College are prepared to enter graduate school for further study, or to work as a/an
- Graphic designer
- Advertising professional
- Freelance illustrator
- Industrial designer
- Communications manager
- Website/app designer
- Film/TV editor
- Art/design director
- Design instructor/educator