Pathway Plan and Minor in American Language and Culture
The Pathway Plan prepares students whose first language is not English for the completion of a Houghton College degree. The students take a semester of Intensive Academic English for college language credit and have the opportunity to receive a minor in American Language and Culture.
These classes meet five days per week so that students are immersed in the study of Intensive Academic English (IAE) as they prepare to continue with their Houghton degree in subsequent semesters.
Fall Semester – First Half
- IAE 120 Academic English Listening (4 credit hours)
- IAE 121 Academic English Reading (4 credit hours)
Fall Semester – Second Half
- IAE 122 Academic English Speaking (4 credit hours)
- AE 123 Academic English Writing (4 credit hours)
Successful completion of Intensive Academic English coursework satisfies the Integrative Studies foreign language requirement.
Minor in American Language and Culture
Students desiring the Minor in American Language and Culture will take 13 additional hours:
- LING Structure of the English Word (3 credits).
- COMM 101 Presentational Speaking (2 credits) Studies in the basic concepts of effective communication. Emphases on oral presentation skills, organization of information, use of evidence, and audience analysis. Deliver demonstrative, informational, and persuasive speeches.
- WRIT 101 Writing in the Liberal Arts (4 credit hours) Theme based seminar course in close reading, critical thinking, and the process of engaged writing. Techniques of expression, analysis and response
- HIST 220 American History Survey (4 Credit Hours) Overview of American history to the present.
The minor in American Language and Culture will be restricted to students whose first language is not English.