Our mission is to transform Houghton College into a global leader of Christ-centered environmental stewardship.
We believe that sustainability, stewardship, and creation care go hand-in-hand. To care for God’s creation involves exercising good stewardship principles and requires that we consider how our actions impact our neighbors, both locally and globally. Scripture tells us that God created the world, called it “good,” and then gave humans responsibility as stewards (Gen. 1:28-30).
At its core, creation care is a spiritual issue that directly relates to our views on consumption, materialism, stewardship, thankfulness, simplicity, and love for our neighbor. Taking care of creation is simply our response to the awesome God who created it.
In the Center for Sustainability we do this in three ways:
- Educating about local and global sustainability issues
- Inspiring our community to love and care for God’s creation
- Implementing long-term, sustainable solutions to environmental challenges
“Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad, let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy; they will sing before the Lord.” Psalm 96: 11-13
What We’re Doing
We’re always looking for ways to be more responsible in our stewardship of the earth. Here are some recent activities and events sponsored by the Center for Sustainability.
- Opened the renovated Center for Sustainability office space on the 3rd floor of Chamberlain atrium
- Completed certification for the prestigious AASHE Stars Program–a campus sustainability index for higher education–earning a Bronze rating
- Completed a campus-wide LED lighting retrofit, which will reduce energy usage by 750,000 kWh and (after a 10-year payback period) save $90,000 per year
- Installed two electric vehicle charging stations
- Began composting food waste from the dining hall kitchen
- Published new trail signs and maps for the Houghton trail system
- Added an apiary to the campus garden
CFS Recent Events:
- Trail Mixer: Make-your-own trail mix to enjoy while hiking in the Houghton woods
- Church in the Woods: A Sunday morning “creation care” themed worship service in Letchworth State Park
- Arts & the Environment Expo: An environmentally themed artistic event
- Orchard planting: Volunteers helped plant 40 apple, pear, and cherry trees in our orchard
- Harvestival: A fall celebration and market of local artisans and farmers held on the Quad
- Arbor Day Community Festival: An annual day of outdoor service projects, food, and music
- Applesauce making workshop
The Campus Garden is a student-run enterprise that provides sustainably grown food for the dining hall.Learn More
Campus Sustainability Map
Click on the icons below to learn about some of the sustainability actions we’ve put into place across the Houghton College campus.